EnCompass is seeking a senior-level Strategic Communications Manager to provide support to major technical assistance (TA) to the Development Outreach and Communications team of USAID/Ukraine (DOC). This TA is provided through EnCompass’ Ukraine Monitoring and Learning Support (UMLS) Project. The Strategic Communications Manager has responsibility for coordinating the working relationship with the DOC team in a proactive and consultative manner that achieves UMLS’ overarching goal of remaining a trusted advisor to USAID/Ukraine in all its work. The Strategic Communications Manager will coordinate with a local communications specialist as well as local vendors, as necessary. Additionally, this individual will work with short-term technical assistance (STTA) specialists from EnCompass headquarters, as well as specialists from EnCompass’ sub-contractor in the UMLS project, NORC at the University of Chicago. The Senior Communications Manager is expected to work with these diverse specialists to provide high-level, seamless, and proactive client support to the Mission’s DOC team.
This position will start as a STTA role (March – December 2021) with the possibility of developing into an employee position, based upon performance and the evolving development of the DOC TA scope. The position is currently a remote/virtual position due to the COVID-19 pandemic. In time it may future include in-person collaboration as the context evolves in Kyiv.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
This individual will be responsible for day-to-day coordination of the four core areas of the DOC TA:
- Training and Technical Assistance
- Communications Research, Learning, Analytics, and Evaluation
- Social Media Support
- Materials Development and Dissemination
Working with a local communications specialist, this individual will model the highest level of client management, advisory and delivery skills needed to maintain the current high level of client trust. This includes fulfilling high-quality deliverables under tight timelines.
Within the Materials Development and Dissemination theme, the manager will be responsible for coordinating DOC TA support in the detailed design and implementation of several high-profile, thematically-focused, multi-media campaigns to be planned and executed during 2021.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Provide ongoing support for the DOC team in the four areas of TA described above, including campaign support.
- Deliver advice on USAID communications priorities, including messaging, as requested by USAID.
- Support development of communications materials for the DOC program, including such products as: fact sheets, monthly e-newsletters, one-pagers, and talking points.
- Provide advice on the development of communications plans, as requested.
- Support communications training and facilitation, particularly in the area of strategic planning, execution, and measurement and evaluation of in-country messaging, communications, and outreach. This includes coordinative support to training or facilitation of online events using EnCompass robust online training platforms.
- A master’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism, or a related field plus minimum 5 years of related experience; or a bachelors’ degree plus 10 years of relevant experience.
- Good working knowledge of communications outreach initiatives, required; previous experience working directly for USAID or for a USAID contractor in the field of communications, preferred, including knowledge of USAID Branding and Marketing Guidelines and Regulations.
- Previous experience creating and implementing communications strategies; high level of competence in writing and editing written materials, required.
- Familiarity with Ukraine’s USAID in-country communications outlets/channels, including traditional media, websites, and social media, preferred.
- Proven ability to adapt strategic communications principles to a wide variety of external communications challenges, required.
- Previous experience in communications training design and delivery, preferred.
- Experience working with Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Google Drive, Google Sites, HTML, and cloud-based programs, required.
- Ability to work in a small, virtual team environment and meet deadlines, required.
- Near-native fluency in English, in written and oral forms, required.
EnCompass LLC is a progressive Equal Opportunity Employer. We promote, celebrate, and support a diverse and inclusive organizational culture and workforce. We are committed to providing all of our employees with an environment free from discrimination and harassment, where all are treated with dignity and respect. We do not tolerate, and explicitly prohibit, discrimination or harassment of any kind, at any time, in all aspects of employment. This includes recruitment, hiring, promotions, disciplinary measures, terminations, compensation, benefits, social and recreational programs, and training. EnCompass also does not tolerate retaliation against individuals who report discrimination or harassment. Our continuing commitment to the principle of Equal Opportunity Employment for all means all employment decisions are based only on the job requirements, the candidate’s qualifications, and the needs of EnCompass as a business—not on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, belief, sex (including pregnancy and related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, disability status, veteran status, genetic information, HIV status, family/marital/parental status, or any other status protected by the laws and regulations in the jurisdictions where we work.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.
About the Organization
EnCompass is a women-owned business offering innovative and customized solutions for leadership, capacity strengthening, technical assistance, and monitoring and evaluation. We have experience in more than 70 countries and a team of more than 100 staff and 1,200 experts around the globe.
We partner with government and multilateral agencies, nonprofit organizations, and corporations around the world, offering thought leadership, rich diversity, and technical expertise in global health, inclusive development, education, human rights, and food security.