The Service for Geospatial Information and Telecommunications Technologies (SGITT) within the United Nations Global Service Centre (UNGSC) is the operational hub for the support and delivery of ICT services and solutions to satisfy the requirements of the Departments of Peace Operations and Operational Support (DPO/DOS). DOS has implemented a range of systems to address the principal requirements of peace operations and, increasingly, of a broader range of Secretariat and non-Secretariat entities and to support and enhance the processes DOS undertakes. Within SGITT, the System Monitoring Technician will carry out his/her tasks within the Bridge Operational Unit in UNGSC under the oversight of the Chief of Unit.
The System Monitoring Technician will be responsible for managing and maintaining the Enterprise-monitoring Systems on premises and in the cloud.
The System Monitoring Technician will coordinate with systems engineers, application technical support analysts and developers to determine requirements for filters, events, alerts, and dashboards and reporting in various monitoring tools. The incumbent will also has responsibility for supporting System monitoring tools and its components including Configuration Manager, Service Manager and Orchestrator, as necessary.
This is a position in UNOPS for supporting projects carried out for or in the United Nations Secretariat. The incumbent of this position will be a Staff of UNOPS under its full responsibility
- Deployment and support of the tools in use to monitor systems and applications
- Perform administrative tasks from the Operation Manager console, provide application support multiple monitoring platform, create, and maintain monitoring and notification rules.
2. Tool administration:
- Review and update system monitoring tools console security, apply patches, create roles and reviews, and create and install custom Management Packs (MP) as needed.
- Deliver SCOM views via Remote Desktop Web Access, create custom reports on results of SCOM monitoring and provide problem resolution for SCOM components and related custom scripts
3. Collaboration :
- Work with project managers and peers to understand and solve challenging technical problems, produce effort estimates, and improve system functionality, reliability and reduce costs.
- Manage customer satisfaction through effectively communicating and managing customer expectations
5. Tool updates
- Recommend changes to policies and establish procedures that affect immediate policies and procedures
- Run daily maintenance checks, running DB queries, upgrading agents to the latest versions and verify-update configuration when needed
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or any related field is desirable and may substitute for some years of relevant working experience
- 6 years of experience with the installation and administration of Microsoft System Center Operations Manager or other Enterprise Monitoring applications
- Experience in Server Administrator (both Windows Server and Linux)
- Experience in application/network performance and availability monitoring
- Experience using the Microsoft Windows PowerShell scripting engine to automate tasks
- Experience in Cloud Services and Cloud Monitoring
- Experience in business analytics services (preferably PowerBI)
- Experience major Microsoft technologies including operating systems, Active Directory, Exchange, SharePoint, SQL Server
- Experience of server virtualization technologies, preferably VMware
- Experience in desktop virtualization platforms.
- Fluency in English (both oral and written) is required;
- knowledge of another UN official language is desirable
- SCOM certification
- HP NNM certification
- AWS certification
- AZURE certification
- ITIL foundation
About the Organization
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.