Chemonics seeks a tax expenditure specialist for the Fiscal Reform for a Strong Tunisia (FIRST) project. FIRST’s objective is to provide technical assistance and capacity building to key Tunisian government institutions, particularly the Ministry of Finance, to strengthen the fiscal foundation for sustainable and inclusive growth. FIRST will help the ministry develop its capacity to formulate sound, predictable, and fair revenue policies. It will also support the ministry in modernizing tax administration and enhancing its ability to effectively, efficiently, and transparently carry out its revenue-collection mandate. The tax expenditure specialist will support the development of a tax expenditure report, leading initial development and application of an analysis framework and identifying areas for further work. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Meet with the director general of the General Directorates of Tax and Financial Incentives (DGAFF) and members of the Ministry of Finance/DGAFF working group to conduct the review
- Conduct one to two training workshops with the working group and other invited participants to discuss general approaches to tax expenditure analysis, best practices and lessons learned from other relevant jurisdictions, and findings from reviewing the existing tax expenditure framework and recommended revisions or improvements
- Provide recommendations for future tax expenditure work, including analysis of tax expenditure efficiency and effectiveness in achieving desired objectives
- Meet with DGAFF to propose an analysis of the distribution of current tax expenditures’ revenue impact, and to explore ways to study the macroeconomic effects on Tunisia of tax expenditures
- Develop a proposed strategy and alternative timelines to support DGAFF in meeting its responsibilities under the proposed revision to the Organic Budget Law
- Recognized expertise in the design and evaluation of tax expenditure frameworks
- Familiarity with the French tax system, particularly as it relates to the identification of potential tax expenditures
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Fluent French preferred but not required
Please email your application, including a current CV and cover letter, to FIRSTTaxExpenditureRecruit@chemonics.com by Friday, August 24, 2018, with “Tax Expenditure Specialist” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; early submission is encouraged. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.
About the Organization
Owned entirely by employees, Chemonics is an ISO-9001 certified international development company. For more than 40 years, we have partnered with local and international organizations to promote social and economic change around the world.