The Ministry of Finance Bureau of Revenue and Taxation are seeking a Tax Reform Implementation Adviser to assist with the introduction of the Palau Goods and Services Tax (PGST) which is a critical part of the Palau Government’s objective of reigniting the economy and recovering from the COVID-19 pandemic. The introduction of a Goods and Services Tax (GST) within the Republic of Palau has been on the national agenda since 2007, with the Tax Review Task Force (2007) formally recommending a transition from the Gross Revenue Tax (GRT) to GST for reasons that are still valid today. Palau will be graduating from Official Development Assistance in 2022 and this program is a critical step towards this outcome.
You will be accountable to, and managed by Director of the Bureau of Revenue and Taxation with weekly interactions with the Minister of Finance, who supervises the Bureau and Financial/Economic Reforms.
This role is expected to commence in June 2021 for a period of 12 + 12 months.
Please note there are special COVID-19 provisions with this position, please read the Information for Applicants – available on https://www.pactam2.com/ carefully to understand those conditions.
· Ensure tax administration and taxpayer readiness for the implementation of PGST and provide assistance with implementation of NPT and new administration and procedural rules in the Tax Code.
- Oversee the expansion of Taxpayer Services and Tax Compliance capability
· Upgrade tax processes and procedures designed and implemented for tax filing, payment and assessment of domestic taxes
· Implementation of a dedicated program of capacity building initiatives for all Bureau of Revenue and Taxation staff
· Implementation of cross cutting themes such as Gender Equality, Child Protection, Environmental Protection and disability inclusion
· Reporting requirements and stakeholder engagement
- Bachelor level degree or post-graduate tertiary qualifications in taxation, accounting, finance, business management or related discipline.
Skills, experience, knowledge
· A minimum of 10 years’ experience in domestic tax administration;
· Demonstrated experience in a developing Inland Revenue department; relevant work experience in a Pacific Island country will be highly regarded;
· A strong capacity to implement reform programs that will impact significantly on the performance of a national tax agency;
· High level skills in analysis of complex tax technical issues and interpretation and application of domestic tax laws including Value Added Tax (VAT), Goods and Services Tax (GST) and Net Profits Tax (NPT);
· A strong technical and practical knowledge of the systems, processes and policies used to administer tax laws including:
o Taxpayer service;
o Revenue collection and recovery processes;
o Compliance and risk monitoring and enforcement;
o Strategies to mitigate tax compliance risks.
· Ability to interpret revenue related legislation and provide constructive input into Palau’s revenue reform agenda;
· Proven project management skills and ability to assist with change management;
· Ability to oversee the computerisation of the tax agency;
· Knowledge of risk management principles and compliance improvement strategies;
· Experience in capacity development and implementation of formal and on-the-job training including the development of relevant procedures and manuals;
Strong written and oral communication skills, with the ability to effectively communicate with a broad range of stakeholders.
· Remuneration in line with the ARF – C3 - $10,946 - $13,683
· Mobility allowance
· Flights, medicals, and insurance
· Pre-departure briefing and in-country orientation
· Ongoing assignment monitoring and support
NB Palau is due to graduate from Official Development Assistance (ODA) as of 1 January 2022 which may have tax implications for the adviser.
Scope Global – Engaged in the present to develop the future
Scope Global is a specialist project management company with people as the focus of its program delivery. We have a history of successfully managing projects in the international development and international education sectors.
The Pacific Technical Assistance Mechanism Phase 2 (PACTAM2) is an Australian Government initiative, funded through the Australian aid program and managed by Scope Global. It places highly skilled Advisers with Partner Governments in participating Pacific Island countries to build capacity and to meet identified human resource needs. If you are interested in other PACTAM2 opportunities and would like to receive updates, please register your interest.
Scope Global recruitment operates under equal employment opportunity principles and laws. We encourage appropriately qualified and experienced people to apply regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, physical ability or beliefs.
Applications will only be accepted via our online application system. For more detailed information on the position and to apply online, please visit https://www.pactam2.com/
Applications close midnight ACST 22nd April 2021. No late applications will be accepted.
For more information contact a member of our team at recruitment.PACTAM2@scopeglobal.com
PACTAM2 love to hear from applicants across the region