The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Laos Country Office (LCO) has asked Social Impact (SI)’s USAID/LCO Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Support Activity to conduct mid-term evaluation of the USAID Learn to Read Activity to review achievements to date with the objectives of guiding strategic direction and outlining a way forward to capitalize on the approaches that are working and improve the ones that are not.
Learn to Read (LTR) is a five-year USAID-funded activity beginning in August 15, 2018 and ending in August 14, 2023. LTR’s goal is to improve reading skills for all children in pre-primary through second grade students, with a particular focus on non-Lao-speaking children and children with disabilities. This will be achieved through providing supplemental materials (Result 1), teacher training and support (Result 2), and community engagement (Result 3) programming. LTR also supports and advocates for inclusive education across all three result areas. LTR is implemented by a consortium led by Save the Children. School and community-level activities take place in 16 districts in four provinces of Lao PDR and will reach an estimated minimum of 65,313 children upon completion. Programming is carried out in close partnership with the Ministry of Education and Sports (MoES) and leading development partners with the aim of building system capacity to support children’s reading in the long-term and strengthening the Lao education system with evidence-based approaches.
SI is seeking an individual to fill the role of the Team Lead (TL) for this mid-term evaluation. The TL will manage and oversee the research team and all client deliverables. In addition, the TL is responsible for coordinating research activities and ensuring the production and completion of the final report in accordance with the scope of work and work plan timelines. The TL will guide the development of the desk review, direct data collection, conduct data analysis, coordinate technical inputs of team members, and lead the drafting and completion of a final report. The TL will ensure quality assurance and timeliness of all deliverables, including adherence to SI’s quality assurance standards. Following the completion of data collection and analysis, the TL will design and facilitate a presentation of findings to USAID and a participatory workshop with the LTR implementing partner to obtain feedback and additional inputs, as well as to develop a set of joint recommendations for Activity adjustments as relevant.
The project will begin in late-March 2021 and is projected to be completed in August 2021. Depending on the location of the evaluation team members, some data collection may be conducted remotely. Due to Covid-19 precautions, there is no international travel expected for this assignment. In-country team members will be expected to conduct in-person interviews. The TL is required for approximately 40 days of LOE with the bulk of the LOE occurring April through May.
- Conduct a desk review of Activity documents
- Develop and finalize evaluation design and data collection tools, coordinating technical inputs from the team.
- Administer interviews with stakeholders in Lao PDR as able and oversee the data collection of in-country team members (if not based in-country).
- Ensure quality work in all deliverables; implement SI quality assurance processes.
- Guide and oversee the development and finalization of project deliverables, including the evaluation design, data collection tools, final report, and applicable presentations.
- Prepare and present the findings to USAID Learn to Read partners to validate the findings, obtain additional inputs, and develop joint recommendations.
- Develop and deliver a findings presentation for USAID LCRP, USAID Learn to Read Executive and Advisory Committees, and other relevant partners as appropriate for feedback.
- Work closely with SI HQ team and communicate in a timely and effective manner with all project personnel.
- Advanced degree in a relevant field and at least five years of experience serving as the Team Lead on evaluations/assessments of education programs (experience with early grade reading, teacher training, and inclusive education programs preferred).
- Familiarity with Laos and/or regional experience strongly preferred.
- Advanced quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis, as well as strategic thinking and facilitation skills (experience with EGRA’s strongly preferred).
- Strong team management and interpersonal skills.
- Candidates based in Laos strongly encouraged to apply.
- Fluency in English required.
Come join our energetic and innovative team! We offer you the opportunity to play a leading role in the growth of our company, work as part of a creative and committed team, and make a difference in the well-being of our world.
To learn more about Social Impact, please visit our website: http://www.socialimpact.com.
SI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please, no phone calls.
About the Organization
Social Impact is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.