Project Title: Long Term Technical Assistance for the implementation of the Voluntary Partnership Agreement (VPA) in Liberia
Duration of the project: through April 2022.
The overall objective of the project is to contribute to the development of Liberia’s forest sector so that it plays a key role in the country’s sustainable socio-economic development, poverty reduction and economic growth, and reducing risk of civil conflict through improvements in forest governance and sustainable forest management.
The purpose of this contract to increase the value of traded timber products, strengthen forest law enforcement and governance and share forest benefits more equitably, through implementation of the Voluntary Partnership Agreement between Liberia and the EU. The project five (5) result areas:
- The Forest Development Authority (FDA) and Government of Liberia (GoL), as well as the main VPA stakeholders have the capacity to implement the VPA in accordance with national laws framed in the VPA.
- The legality matrix that underpins the VPA is complete so that it encompasses the full legal framework for all commercial logging, with workable verifiers and verification procedures, and it is enforced, so that FLEGT licenses can be issued to companies or communities
- VPA implementation is extended to community forestry and informal timber operations (including domestic markets) so that good governance and revenue collection is applied equally across commercial forestry.
- The Legality Verification Department and the Liberian Licencing Department, complete with systems and procedures, are established and operating effectively within GoL
- governance arrangements and the monitoring and reporting of results are effective, inclusive and transparent.
This is a full-time position based in Liberia. Regular travel within Liberia to FDA regions and forest communities is essential.
Qualifications and skills:
- A level of qualifications corresponding to a post-graduate Master level, or above, in a relevant subject (e.g. International Development, Forestry, Economics), or equivalent experience.
- Excellent spoken and written English, and communication skills.
General Professional Experience:
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience as Team Leader or principal Project Manager, on TA projects of a similar scale and complexity.
- A track record of successfully implementing capacity building and capacity transfer projects.
- At least 10 years’ experience of project management/coordination, including the use of planning and monitoring tools for performance management.
- Experience of developing and maintaining relationships with key decision makers in private sector, government agencies and civil society organisations, with evidence of roles that demonstrate political judgement, networking and influencing skills.
Specific Professional Experience:
- Demonstrated experience of managing institutional/organisational development interventions, especially in the context of public sector bodies with limited resources and substantial capacity building needs.
- Previous experience in Liberia and/or West Africa, and/or in other VPA/FLEGT projects would be a distinct advantage.
- Knowledge and experience of forestry, community forestry and the contextual issues of land rights, poverty reduction and forest management for conservation and for commercial purposes.
- Demonstrated experience in private sector development in forestry.
About the Organization
DAI delivers development solutions for bilateral and multilateral donors, governments and private sector clients worldwide, often in difficult environments where insecurity and conflict are rife. We work hand in hand with our counterparts in government and the private sector to identify where international best practices can be usefully applied and best tailored to the local context. For more than 45 years, we have built a forward-looking company—one that combines innovative thinking, deep technical knowledge, and professional project management.
DAI’s work with the European Commission is currently managed from the United Kingdom. DAI supports the vision of the Europe 2020 strategy and is excellently placed to assist the European Union’s efforts toward a smart, sustainable, and inclusive economy to deliver high levels of employment, productivity, and social cohesion.