Position: Team Leader
Duration: Long Term Position, 29 months (April 15, 2020 - June 30, 2022)
ARF Classification: C4
Location: Port Vila, Vanuatu
The responsibilities of the Team Leader will include, but not be limited to:
- Lead the overall vision, strategic direction and management of R4D2 program and ensure that it achieves its End of Program Outcomes (EOPO) including MIPU PWD to manage the road network of Vanuatu more effectively and efficiently resulting in sustainable improved connectivity;
- Lead and build a strong and motivated team within R4D2 Team ensuring effective capacity-building, mentoring and performance management, and promote knowledge sharing within the team;
- Support PWD to build strategic relationships with GoV agencies including Prime Minister’s Office, the Department of Finance and Treasury (DFT) and the Public Service Commission (PSC) to support the achievement of EOPOs; and
- Build and maintain strategic relationships with DFAT, key private sector partners, multi-lateral banks, other Government of Australia support programs, civil society organisations and relevant Pacific agencies and forums as required.
Technical Support and Oversight:
- Provide technical advice and guidance to support PWD continue its transition to ‘road network manager’ business model, including business flows and processes, resourcing and redeployment of assets and personnel, streamlining procurement, road network asset management, and other areas;
- Support PWD respond and adapt to sector reform measures by central agencies, including multi-year contracting, streamlined procurement rules, national budgeting consistent with sector policy commitments, and others;
- Support PWD achieve effective sector alignment and harmonisation with multi-lateral and bilateral development banks, other bilateral partners, relevant regional programs, and other contributors;
- Oversight of the R4D2 monitoring and evaluation framework and system to DFAT M&E Standards, integrating the system with operational and finance systems where appropriate and feasible;
- Support PWD monitor and evaluate the roll-out of the Vanuatu Sustainable Public Roads Network and provide advice and guidance on funding strategies and options, improving implementation, and/or adjusting the Policy as required;
- Provide strong leadership on gender equity and social inclusion ensuring these are mainstreamed throughout the program and M&E system and in compliance with DFAT’s gender policies;
- Support PWD to ensure climate change and resilience approaches are mainstreamed across its operations;
- Develop communications in partnership with DFAT to support information needs including briefs on sectoral issues, policy and program achievements and ensure Program visibility and strategic fit is maintained in collaboration with the Australian Government and Government of Vanuatu;
- Work closely with the R4D2 Senior Engineering Adviser, providing technical guidance and support to ensure effective and efficient road operations support to PWD; and
- Respond to requests from PWD for other technical/engineering/sector support, as required.
- Provide oversight of GoA’s Direct Funding Arrangement (DFA) to the GoV for Program activities;
- Monitor and manage the changing policy and operational environment and provide proactive advice and management to respond appropriately;
- Manage the identification of all major risks (fraud, security, workplace health and safety), safeguarding (including child protection and environmental issues) and programmatic risks while leading team development, updating and implementation of an effective risk and safeguard management strategy;
- Ensure R4D2 Program and its activities deliver services on budget and demonstrate value for money through effective and efficient use of resources; and
- Oversee effective management of R4D2 financial and operational systems (including approving expenditure, human resources, logistics, procurement and program facilitation) and ensuring they are used in accordance with DFAT requirements, Australian Government legislation, local regulations and program procedures.
- Reporting Requirements:
- Reports to Contractor Representative;
- Works with and receives strategic direction from Contractor Representative, DFAT and GoV counterparts;
- Works closely with the DFAT management team at Post;
- Lead and quality assure the preparation of key outputs including the Quarterly Progress Reports, Annual Plans, Annual Reports and the Completion Report. Ensure adherence with Plans and Manuals by all team members;
- Represent R4D2 at regular Program Steering Committee (PSC) meetings, presenting the Annual Work Program Report, Annual Progress Report and Quarterly Progress Reports as needed;
- Participate in monthly Management Work Group (MWG) meetings;
- Direct management of the Senior Engineering Adviser, Organisational Development Adviser, Procurement Adviser, M&E Officer, and short-term advisers ensuring high levels of performance.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University Degree in Civil Engineering, planning or related field.
- Master’s degree or equivalent post graduate academic qualification in Project Management, Transport Planning and Economics, Organisational Development (or demonstrated relevant equal skills).
- 15+ years professional experience or equivalent combination of education and experience in management and team leadership of large, complex, multi-country aid programs;
- Experience working with donor-funded programs as a Team Leader;
- Familiarity with international and multi-lateral donor systems, and their requirements;
- Demonstrated experience in safeguards assessment and management, including GESI, child protection and environmental safeguards;
- Knowledge of key cross-cutting issues and their application in infrastructure development programs, particularly gender equality, social inclusion and climate change;
- Proven experience in contributing to strategic direction and providing management to multi-disciplinary teams in a cross-cultural context.
- Other qualifications considered highly desirable in Business Administration, Public Transport Policy, Public Sector Management or any other relevant qualification.
- Key Performance Indicators:
- Timely delivery of high-quality contract outputs;
- Responsiveness to requests from DFAT throughout the life of R4D2;
- Delivery of results as agreed in the M&E Plan;
- Outstanding Partner Performance Assessments and Adviser Performance Assessment; and
- Strong relationships built with DFAT, MIPU, MIPU-PWD, PSC and DFT as evidenced by positive feedback.
How to Apply
Please submit your application before COB 27 March 2020 to: Australia.Recruitment@adamsmithinternational.com and copy Program Manager: Rami Alkhatib at: Rami.Alkhatib@adamsmithinternational.com.
• Be titled: Application - R4D2 Team Leader;
• Include two pages cover letter addressing the selection criteria; and
• Include a CV of no more than four pages.
About the Organization
ASI is committed to continually improve the diversity of our workforce through the attraction, retention and development of a diverse range of talented people. We want people to be comfortable bringing their whole self to work and recognise that inclusion brings further opportunities for innovation and creativity.
# Happy to talk flexible working
Adam Smith International is a strategic development company that helps people prosper by making economies stronger, societies safer, and governments more effective. Our clients are governments, international organisations, companies, and foundations. They come to us to develop strategies and to design, deliver and evaluate programmes that, in turn, stimulate growth, stability and good governance.
Our core team of managers and technical experts, in offices around the world, ensures the quality of delivery and high ethical standards that we and our clients require. We bring together a global network of specialist experts, who contribute their experience and know-how, where and when it is needed.
ASI is owned and operated by its employees, and we are all dedicated to making a meaningful difference in complex, challenging situations. We are committed to corporate integrity and a triple bottom line of social, environmental and financial performance.