Palladium seeks a Team Leader for the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC)-funded Increasing Market Employability (IME) Phase 2 project in Macedonia. The project follows a facilitative market systems approach to support private sector development and growth in selected economic sectors in Macedonia. The main project goal is to create new jobs through sustainable private sector development, so that the un- and underemployed, particularly women and youth, are engaged in sustainable and decent employment. IME will have 3 main outcomes: 1) Private sector development - companies in selected sectors grow by improving their products and services and expanding their markets; 2) Improving the business environment - business support functions and financial services are improved, and the policy and regulatory framework are conducive to company growth in selected sectors; and 3) the private sector is sensitized about the added value of engaging more women and youth, and are equipped with the tools for identifying, attracting and retaining them. In Macedonia, IME will be focused on a systemic approach to private sector development to create new jobs, while two other SDC-funded programs will address skills development through the “Education for Employment in Macedonia” (E4E) project, and job matching and active labor market measures through the “Creating Job Opportunities for All” project.
Purpose of Position
The Team Leader will report to Palladium’s Home Office Project Director. S/he will serve as the primary contact for the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation, other relevant Swiss government entities and key project stakeholders.
* Leads technical direction and strategy development for implementation (including drafting project work plans), and ensures an integrated vision across project outcome areas and partners and stakeholders.
* Champions a market systems approach to private sector development in multiple sectors, implementing a results and evidence based management approach, and provides technical coaching and training to project staff.
* Ensures overall quality and cost effectiveness, and establishes and maintains robust and adaptive monitoring and results measurement (MRM) systems.
* Ensures effective use of resources, on-time delivery of project activity reports and partner deliverables, and overall compliance with SDC regulations and Palladium policies and procedures.
* Works with staff to recruit, hire and manage staff and consultants as needed to carry out activities.
* Works in partnership with a Home Office Project Director, engaging in frequent, routine communication so that the home office is aware of both progress and potential issues, and solicits assistance and input as needed to ensure that performance meets or exceeds technical and financial contractual requirements.
* Manages subcontractors, both international and local, to ensure that their performance meets or exceeds technical and financial contractual requirements.
* Serves as the key liaison between SDC and other Swiss government entities, host-country counterparts, project partners, and Palladium.
* Supports implementation of Palladium’s security protocols and provides leadership in handling security-related issues. Addresses local staffing and personnel issues related to security.
* Strong expertise and at least 8 years of experience in managing and coordinating interventions of comparable size and scope in private sector development, and/or job creation. Proven ability to identify and facilitate systemic changes and learn from other successful projects. Relevant higher education and professional training for the position.
* Experience in the inclusion of groups at risk of social exclusion in projects, in particular youth and women.
* Proven track record in cooperating with a large number of stakeholders and in strengthening/building the capacity of key partners.
* Strong managerial skills, including result-oriented management, strategic planning, human resources management, and financial management skills.
* Strong experience in steering and mentoring, capacity to anticipate issues and identify forward-looking solutions.
* Strong interpersonal, intercultural and communication skills.
* Professional experience in transition countries, preferably in the Western Balkans or Macedonia; thorough understanding of the socio-economic situation in the Western Balkans, preferably in Macedonia.
* Excellent English language capacities. Knowledge of Macedonian and/or Albanian desirable.
About the Organization
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.