Anticipated USAID Malawi health service delivery project seeks to reduce maternal, newborn, and child morbidity and mortality in Malawi. The ONSE follow-on will execute interventions in health systems strengthening and four priority health areas: family planning and reproductive health (FP/RH); maternal, newborn, and child health (MNCH); malaria; and water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH).
The Finance and Administration (F&A) Director, under the supervision of the Chief of Party, will have primary responsibility for financial, accounting, contract and compliance management for the project. S/he will provide supervision and oversight of the program’s finance, administrative and human resources support staff, and establish the Activity’s financial systems and procedures required to ensure compliance with USAID regulations and local labor laws. We seek candidates with proven leadership and problem-solving skills who work collaboratively to identify and implement solutions. The successful candidate will be a hands-on and participative manager and will lead the development of an internal team to support the financial and administrative management of the project.
The position will be based in Lilongwe, Malawi, and is contingent upon contract award to Abt Associates.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Implement financial and budgeting policies and procedures that meet project needs and corporate and client requirements.
- Understand Abt’s financial tools, systems, and policies and oversee their application and implementation for the Lilongwe and field offices.
- Ensure timely completion of month-end and year-end accounting closes, with appropriate supporting documentation for all accounting transaction uploaded to Abt’s accounting system.
- Lead and continuously develop and strengthen the field office finance and accounting team. Organize the orientation and provision of continuous training / skills building for all relevant field staff on financial policies and procedures, and finance, accounting, & project management.
- Advise and communicate with the COP on project financial status, availability of funds for project activities, and other financial and compliance related matters.
- Liaise on a continuous basis with Home Office Project Finance team to ensure highest level compliance with Abt’s policies, regulations, and procedures.
- Provide a leadership role in ensuring strict compliance with USAID’s rules, regulations & within contract terms.
- Work in close collaboration with field-based technical staff to develop a culture of budget and financial management that is commensurate with the ambitions of the project.
- Maintain financial reporting and tracking systems providing data measurements on financial performance of project objectives and activities.
- Manage, track and execute local project vendor invoices.
- Prepare timely monthly financial reporting and accurate financial projections throughout the fiscal year. Develop, analyze and monitor program budgets spending.
- Collaborate with project leadership to identify resources to help the program meet its goals, deliverables, and milestones.
- Provide on-going financial administrative oversight to the project, including approval of financial transactions (payroll, vendor invoices, vouchers, etc.), and client invoices.
- Monitor Activity financial transactions, and ensure accountability and transparency.
- Work with the COP and home office management to support statutory audits, client audits and financial control reviews.
- Work with Abt’s home office Human Resources Department to recruit and onboard employees, facilitate employment agreements, and oversee project staff’s annual review process.
- Work with the COP to liaise with USAID on finance and accounting issues.
- A Master’s Degree in Business, Finance, Accounting, or other relevant field and at least 12 years of experience supporting F&A for an international donor-funded program or Bachelor’s degree and 16 years of relevant finance and accounting experience
- Expertise in USAID rules and regulations required
- At least 8 years working in a developing country context; experience working in Malawi highly preferred
- Demonstrated expertise in accounting, financial planning, and other management support areas, as required
- Demonstrated experience managing international development programs of similar magnitude and complexity ($50M+ USD), including those funded by USAID
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Proven supervisory experience and experience in design and implementation of training/capacity building for finance and administrative staff
- Demonstrated leadership qualities, with proven expertise in financial management
- Ability to work independently and manage a high-volume workflow
- Ability to travel extensively to program locations within Malawi, as required
- Fluent in English, written and spoken
- Master’s degree and 10-12 years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.