EnCompass LLC seeks an international development professional with strong leadership experience to lead and grow EnCompass’ Technical Assistance and Evaluation (TA & Evaluation) practice area. The Vice President for TA & Evaluation is responsible for providing executive leadership to leverage EnCompass’ deep portfolio of monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) work, and other expertise to deepen the company’s footprint in the implementation space across several development sectors. The VP will provide strategic direction and oversight for the practice area as it pertains to new business development, client relationships, program management, employee development and engagement, and business results. The Vice President oversees a portfolio of contracts funded by USAID, foundations, and other international donors, and is accountable for the successful performance of existing projects and bringing in new business.
The position reports directly to the EnCompass President and is a member of the EnCompass Executive Team. As such, the VP is expected to contribute to the growth and support of the entire company and actively foster an environment that encourages collaboration, innovation, diversity, and inclusion. The VP serves as a thought leader who integrates expertise, knowledge, and support throughout the company.
Known for its participatory, appreciative approaches, EnCompass is a rapidly growing woman-owned business transitioning to a large business status. The TA and Evaluation practice area has an extensive portfolio of short-term and multi-year contracts providing monitoring, evaluation, and learning support to USG and non-government clients around the globe. These projects address a range of sector topics including health, education, democracy and governance, human rights, gender, and food security, among others. We currently have two country-based offices and seek to significantly grow our in-country presence, as well as expand into implementation projects.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
Executive Leadership (as part of the EnCompass Executive Team)
- Contributes to developing and implementing the strategic goals of the company
- Ensures effective, ethical, and profitable business practices across the company
- Develops and communicates policies, priorities, systems, and activities and collaborates to address issues of company culture, practices, and efficiencies
- Fosters an energetic and appreciative work culture that encourages collaboration, teamwork, and mentorship
- Consistently models, reinforces, and holds self and others to living EnCompass values
- Manages risks that could impact EnCompass’ reputation, operational viability, and security
New Business Development
- Leads new business development strategy in TA and Evaluation practice area, with an emphasis on large new opportunities for long-term growth, and ensures that new business development is tied to strategic company priorities
- Takes leadership in cultivating potential clients and partners; engages with existing clients and partners to deepen relationships
- Leads efforts to build extensive network of experts to meet current and future needs
- Provides quality assurance to business development efforts, leading or reviewing strategic proposal efforts, as well as teaming and pricing strategy
- Ensures appropriate availability of technical staff and resources to support new business development; mentors and guides staff to engage in all aspects of business development
- Provides financial, technical, and advisory support and resources to enable program and project team success
- Establishes and maintains standards for quality and responsiveness in contract management
- Ensures successful implementation and client satisfaction on existing programs
- Ensures that all projects are managed in line with budget and contractual requirements and EnCompass project management guidelines
Practice Area Management
- Provides leadership and strategy for the TA and Evaluation practice area, setting team priorities and objectives as aligned with overall EnCompass strategy and objectives
- Has oversight of and is accountable for attracting, retaining, and developing a diverse staff team in TA and Evaluation
- Hires and develops senior staff; provides high-level guidance on management, supervision, and technical matters; deliberately “builds the bench” for staffing and succession planning
- Oversees quality performance of staff and consultants across all teams within TA and Evaluation
- Responsible for resource management, including managing staff workloads and billability targets, in coordination with other senior leaders
- Provides leadership and strategy in the ongoing development of systems and processes for efficiency, ensuring synergy between systems and client need.
- Promotes leading edge thinking, methodologies, and approaches to EnCompass’ work internally and publicly
- Publishes and presents significant work with white papers and blogs, and in relevant journals, trade publications, and conferences
- Builds networks and partnerships for innovation
Master’s degree and 15+ years of international development experience or PhD and 12 years of experience. Degree in Public Health, Social Sciences, International Development, Political Science, or a related field
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact with individuals at all levels and from diverse cultures.
- Strong communication skills, including writing and public speaking
- Extensive professional networks in the international development community
- Flexibility and ability to travel
- Experience working or living overseas
- Ability to work effectively in multi-cultural environments and build meaningful working relations with clients and colleagues
- An understanding of appreciative inquiry and appreciative processes
- Fluency in English required; proficiency or fluency in other languages highly desired
- Experience developing and successfully implementing a business development strategy for long-term and diversified growth
- Successful track record leading and contributing to winning proposals, particularly with USAID
- Proven experience developing, leading, and managing complex international technical assistance, evaluation, and public policy projects
- Expertise in at least one of the sectors in which EnCompass works – health, education, democracy, etc.
- Strong research/analytical skills with the ability to think strategically and integrate diverse information from varied sources into conclusions and recommendations
- Proven experience building and maintaining strong client relationships, including problem-solving complex project issues with client relationship in mind
- Demonstrable experience leading and building diverse and effective teams, identifying talent, managing workloads and assignments, and developing technical, project management, and operational skill-sets in staff
- Proven experience contributing to organization-wide strategic initiatives; ability to prioritize and realize results
- Strong planning, organization, strategic thinking, and problem-solving skills
- Proven ability to work in an appreciative, strengths-based environment and to guide others in using an appreciative approach
How to Apply:
Please submit CV and cover letter, and complete the application on our website.
EnCompass LLC is a progressive Equal Opportunity Employer. We promote, celebrate, and support a diverse and inclusive organizational culture and workforce. We are committed to providing all of our employees with an environment free from discrimination and harassment, where all are treated with dignity and respect. We do not tolerate, and explicitly prohibit, discrimination or harassment of any kind, at any time, in all aspects of employment. This includes recruitment, hiring, promotions, disciplinary measures, terminations, compensation, benefits, social and recreational programs, and training. EnCompass also does not tolerate retaliation against individuals who report discrimination or harassment. Our continuing commitment to the principle of Equal Opportunity Employment for all means all employment decisions are based only on the job requirements, the candidate’s qualifications, and the needs of EnCompass as a business—not on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, belief, sex (including pregnancy and related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, disability status, veteran status, genetic information, HIV status, family/marital/parental status, or any other status protected by the laws and regulations in the jurisdictions where we work.
The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.
The incumbent must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands and to seek supervisory assistance as appropriate.