1/ Follow up water and sanitation projects financed by AFD in defined countries, to support local sectoral policies via:
- Providing support to AFD’s resident offices in countries of operation for pre-identification of projects;
- Conducting needs analysis for projects or programs, from design to negotiation phases, and presenting proposed financing to AFD’s decision-making bodies;
- Drafting of brief notes for AFD’s and other partners decision-making bodies;
- Supervising and implementing projects and programs after the financing decision, ensuring compliance with undertakings (financial, deadlines, preconditions or conditions precedent, etc.) up to the completion of operations;
- Playing an interface role with any other donors in cofinancing;
- Coordinating the AFD project team.
2/ Monitor the institutional and economic environment of water and sanitation sectoral policies by participating in the policy dialogue with local authorities in the countries of operation via:
- Conducting diagnosis of the sector set up and functioning;
- Dialoging with the authorities (ministries, water and sanitation companies, basin agencies, municipalities, etc.) during missions in the countries of operation;
- Following up actions of other stakeholders (donors, NGOs, companies, etc.) in each country.
3/ Contribute to knowledge production concerning this sector, which comprises:
- Capitalization of expertise available in the division;
- Definition of internal or external communication and strategy documents;
- Coordination of knowledge exchange and brainstorming in the division (active watch, coordination of networks, studies and publications, etc.).
4/ Develop networks with international partners and the French public and private stakeholders via:
- Monitoring of French expertise in the sector;
- Participating as speaker in conferences/events organized in this sector;
- Implementing strategic partnerships signed by AFD.
The position requires initial training as an engineer and a minimum of 10 years of proven professional practice in the water and sanitation sector, for both the technical and the institutional aspects. This experience will have been specifically acquired in the field of engineering, water resources management and/or the operation of water and sanitation services, and of sector policy dialogue. It will have been acquired partly in developing countries, but also in France. Experience in project management is desired.
In addition, the position requires a capacity to synthesize, significant drafting skills and strong interpersonal skills.
In view of the geographical area of operation and the numerous relations with donors working in this sector, fluency in English and French is essential and highly desirable in Spanish or Portuguese.
The position requires availability for missions abroad: 50 days a year on average.