International development is as much a business as it is a labor of love, and chances are you won’t choose your next assignment based on the money.
That said, compensation is an important part of human resources management, and comprehensive data on salaries and benefits is hard to come by. That’s why Devex is shedding light on the salaries and work of those holding jobs that international development organizations commonly hire for. It’s part of our mission to help aid professionals do good and make informed decisions about their careers.
Today’s spotlight is on an internationally hired health program coordinator working for an international nongovernmental organization in South Sudan.
● Position title: health program coordinator
● Seniority: mid-level
● Position type: full-time
● Year: 2014
● Salary: roughly $50,000 annually
● Benefits: health insurance, housing supplement, paid R&R
● Sample tasks: ensure project objectives are on track, work constructively with colleagues across teams, provide technical direction to project staff and partners in the areas of health and nutrition, provide recommendation for improvements in health service delivery
● Qualifications: excellent communication skills, project management, ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast-paced environment