Caraga State University (CSU)
CSU was first conceived in 1918 as the Agusan Agriculture High School thru the passage of an Omnibus Bill filed by the First Congresswoman of the Philippines, Honorable Elisa Rosales Ochoa. On February 14, 1920, Proclamation No. 4 was passed by the American Governor to the Philippines Francis Burton Harrison, declaring the reservation of a 232-hectare virgin forest land in Barrio Ampayon, in the Municipality of Butuan, province of Agusan del Norte as the ground of the young school. However, it was only at the close of World War II in 1946 that the Agusan Agricultural High School (AAHS) was established in the reserved area.
The first framework of the school building was laid down in 1937. Nevertheless, the development of the school was deferred as the government deviated to giving priority to serve the Manobo cultural minority by creating the Bunawan Agricultural High School in Agusan del Sur. The funding for the establishment of the school came from the Rehabilitation Act of 1946, the FAO-PHILCUSA, and the Pres. Carlos P. Garcia contingency fund.
On June 22, 1963, Republic Act No. 3604 was passed converting the school into the Northern Mindanao Agricultural College (NORMINAC during the time of Representative Guillermo R. Sanchez . NORMINAC was among the 13 pilot experimental agricultural high schools chosen by the Department of Education, Culture & Sports (DECS) for World Bank Assistance through the Central Bank Development of Education Agricultural Loan Fund (CB-DEC-ALF) which was the umbrella of the Educational Project Implementing Task Force (EDPITAF) in 1974-1975. Moreover, NORMINAC became the training center for the National Manpower and Youth Council (NMYC).
In collaboration with the International Rice Research Institute, the school was instrumental in the discovery of the zinc deficiency problem of the Agusan Land. The technological breakthrough solved the puzzle of poor rice harvests in many rice fields in Agusan and the surrounding areas.
In 1977-1978, the Bachelor of Science in Agricultural Education opened with 34 enrollees. However, it was phased out to meet World Bank requirement of offering only agricultural technology courses to develop skills for countryside development.
As Caraga Region rapidly grew and developed in both agricultural and industrial sectors, House Bill No. 25 was passed by the then Assemblyman Antonio R. Tupaz, converting NORMINAC to the Northern Mindanao State Institute of Science and Technology (NORMISIST). The House Bill became Batas Pambansa Blg. 241 when President Ferdinand Marcos signed it into law on November 11, 1982 and NORMINAC became NORMISIST or Northern Mindanao State Institute of Science and Technology.
It was around this time that logging facilitated the economic expansion of Butuan. The wider range of curricular offerings was dynamically responsive to the growing need of the region for an educationally prepared and academically capable human resource that is equipped with higher technical skills for agricultural and industrial development. The conversion of NORMINAC into NORMISIST also provided opportunity and access to a good quality of higher education in science and technology to the youth in the region who had been deprived of such a right for many years.
NORMISIST has steadily grown as an institution in delivering education to the constituents of Butuan and the neighboring areas. In 1994, the presidents of the faculty association, the administrative personnel association, and the central student government gained the privilege of observation in the meetings of Board of Trustees (BOT). The above-mentioned organization presidents were not afforded voting rights. However, the observation privilege given at the meeting was an essential means for the Institute stakeholders to learn the rudiments of policy and decision-making and was an initial step in the integration of the NORMISIST personnel into the mainstream of BOT powers.
In the same years, the institution exemplified academic growth by starting to offer graduate studies namely MA in Education with majors in Education and supervision, General Education, Curriculum and Instructional Technology and Adult and External Education as sanctioned by Ref. Res. No. 12, s. 1994 of the Board of Trustees. The above-mentioned accomplishment led to the offering of other graduate programs that are responsive to the need of equipping the human resource of the region.
As part of its commitment to serve a larger academic areas of responsibility, and with the integration of a CHED supervised school, NORMISIST has evolved into a system with one satellite campus, the NORMISIST-Cabadbaran Campus established in an 8-hectare area at the heart of the municipality of Cabadbaran, Agusan del Norte.
AAHS, NORMINAC, NORMISIST became CSU through House Bill No. 5110 filed by Congressman Jose "Joboy" S. Aquino of the First District of Agusan del Norte and co-authored by Congressman Edelmiro A. Amante at the House of Representatives with Senator Mar A. Roxas as the principal sponsor in the Senate together with Senator Juan Miguel Zubiri. HBN 5110 was approved in the Senate's 3rd and final reading last November 16, 2009. On December 16, 2009, HBN 5110 was signed and approved into law by Her Excellency President Gloria Macapagal - Arroyo through Republic Act 9854.
President Arroyo was in NORMISIST for the ceremonial signing of Republic Act 9854 last January 5, 2010. RA 9854 established the Caraga State University in the Region by integrating the Northern Mindanao State Institute of Science and Technology (NORMISIST) of this city and the Northern Mindanao College of Science and Technology (NMCAST) in Cabadbaran, Agusan del Norte with its main campus in Butuan City.
On August 16, 2011, President Aquino signed Proclamation No. 239 amending Proclamation No. 4, granting the Caraga State University (CSU) full ownership of the 232 hectares of land in Ampayon Butuan City. And in 2017, CSU finally got its special patent or land titles of CSU land ownership.See more