Dhartee Development Society (DDS), a non-government, not-for-profit environment conservation and development organization, DDS strives to enable people and institutions to rethink their development objectives in relation to their natural environment. It works on converting risks into opportunities through exploiting resources in sustainable manner sensitization, realization and mainstreaming while focusing on preparedness and mitigation rather than response and rehabilitation. This sector is subdivided in following programs
- Environment and Natural Habitat Conservation Program
- Eco-Agriculture and Pesticide free Horticulture Program
- Climate Change resilience livelihood Development Program
- Women Empowerment and Gender Justice Program
DDS facilitates communities in developing sustainable livelihoods, educates them regarding the climatic changes that occur and their role to participate in mitigating measures and to organize disaster risk reduction committees and help them to improve water and environmental sanitation.
DDS envisions ‘sustainable communities achieving environment conservation ,equitable economic, social, political and cultural development through indigenous community organizations’ DDS’s aim is to ‘become self-sustaining resourceful, disciplined and specialized training and support institution accessible to under privileged with a view to build capacities of community organizations as model development institution’.
DDS’s mission is to mobilize the poor under a common platform and to support under a common platform and to support them to carry out sustainable development.
- Organize rural and urban communities (men and women) for undertaking sustainable development initiatives primarily on self- help basis
- Build the capacity of the VDOs, Small Stakeholders and Small farmers Groups to make them sustainable
- Undertake participatory development programs for poverty alleviation and improvement of quality of life of the poor
- Facilitate Women participation in the development activities and promote their socio economic empowerment
- Promote conservation of natural resources, take efforts for improving environment and facilitate health and education
- Engage in advocacy and networking for addressing social issues of the society
- Cooperate with national and international development organizations for poverty alleviation and sustainable development.
DDS is an indigenous, intermediary non-profitable, non- governmental organization (NGO) and registered under the Societies Act XXl of 1860 on June 27, 2007.
Board of Governors
The organization has a general body comprising of 7 members comprising of activists and social workers. The General Body elects 5 members as Board of Governors every second year. The Board meets once every quarter to review progress and direct next quarter’s work. The present Executive Director of the Board is Mr. Sain Dino Mansoor Dahri. The Board has appointed Mr.Sain Dino Mansoor Dahri as the Chief Executive of DDS.
Areas of Operation
DDS works in 12 districts of Sindh Province (Shaheed Benazirabad, Sanghar, Mirpurkhas, Tharparkar ,Tando Allahyar, T M Khan, Badin , Sujawal, Thatta ,Jamshoro ,Matiari and Dadu) with cross cutting integrated interventions approach of social and economic development while main focus is environment conservation.
Information dissemination is one aspect of awareness rising among the civil society and organizations. DDS has published more than 8 booklets, pamphlets and flyers for information dissemination.
The organization is equipped with the necessary audio-visual aids, computers, vehicles, furniture, and other related material. The office buildings and a land of sixteen and half acres are owned by the organization.
Use of Information Technology (IT)
DDS has increased the use of IT (internet, email, telephone, computers) in its planning, execution and monitoring of its development activities. . DDS now has its web page and Email addresses for rapid and reliable communication with the development community. The website is updated on regular basis. The Hyderabad and Field offices have the facility Wi /Fi technology.
The organization’s accounts are audited on yearly basis by the independent chartered accountant