The International Lesbian and Gay Association (ILGA) is a worldwide non-profit federation of local and national groups dedicated to achieving equal rights for lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, and transgendered people and their liberation from all forms of legal, social, cultural, or economic discrimination. ILGA was founded on 8 August 1978 during the conference of the Campaign for Homosexual Equality in Coventry, England, at a meeting attended by 30 men representing 17 organisations from 14 countries. It was first called the International Gay Association (IGA) but changed its name to ILGA in 1986. ILGA now has more than 700 member organizations, in all continents.
ILGA’s success lies in the achievements and progress of our more than 690 member groups from 110 countries, working together. Any organisation, business or individual interested in working for equal rights for LGBTI persons may apply to become a member of ILGA. Every one or two years, members of ILGA gather in a world conference to give guidance to its work.
ILGA’s aim is to work for the equality of lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and intersex people and their liberation from all forms of discrimination. We seek to achieve this aim through the world-wide cooperation and mutual support of our members.
WHAT WE DO
We focus public and government attention on cases of discrimination against LGBTI people by supporting programs and protest actions, asserting diplomatic pressure, providing information and working with international organisations and the international media.
Examples of our work include:
- Support to Regional LGBTI Rights Network All over the World, from Patagonia to Alaska, from Abidjan and Reykjavik to Mombasa, Surabaya and Papeete...
- World's largest Online Directory of LGBTI Rights oriented Groups and Activists
- Country Reports and Activist driven World Map on the state of LGBTI Rights
- Every two year ILGA organizes the world's largest and only worldwide LGBTI Conference, this year's ILGA World Conference 2010 in Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Worldwide State Sponsored Homophobia Monitoring Campaign
Where is International Lesbian and Gay Association (ILGA)