INTERSOS is a non-profit humanitarian aid organisation that works to bring assistance to people in danger, victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts. Established in 1992 with support from the Italian Federation of Trade Unions, its actions are based on the values of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equal rights and opportunities for all people and respect for diversity and coexistence, paying particular attention to the most vulnerable and the unprotected.
INTERSOS identifies with the core values of CONCORD, the European Confederation of NGOs; it adheres to international codes of conduct for humanitarian organisations and the values and principles expressed within those codes.
INTERSOS is recognised by the Italian Ministry for Foreign Affairs, the European Commission and the principal UN agencies; it is privileged to hold an advisory status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC).
INTERSOS is an independent association which, through its own humanitarian operators, intervenes to effectively answer the needs of people in serious crises situations, mainly in the world's poorest regions, who are suffering, deprived of rights, dignity and essentials goods. It maintains a flexible operating structure. The head office in Italy coordinates, supports and monitors the planned activities in the countries of intervention carried out by decentralised offices. The statutory bodies that guide, decide and monitor the interventions, activities, and finances of INTERSOS, are: the Members Assembly, the Council, the Society for Auditing and Certification of Accounts.
• To give an immediate response in humanitarian crises by bringing emergency relief to the victims of armed conflict, drought, famine, the presence of landmines or unexploded devices, and other disaster situations.
• At the same time as providing primary emergency relief, to also begin working to promote a return to normal living conditions, the resumption of dialogue and the strengthening of peace, reconstruction and growth.
• To stimulate, encourage and involve Italian society in helping to develop and spread the existing culture of solidarity and international justice.
The principal intervention sectors are:
• Providing emergency relief to civilian populations through the distribution of food and basic needs items, water, health, protection and the safeguarding of human rights, with particular attention paid to more vulnerable groups.
• Assisting refugees and internally displaced persons: setting up and running refugee camps and reception centres.
• Supporting the return of refugees and displaced persons. Assisting in the reconstruction of housing and community services, the restarting of economic activities and the democratic process. Fostering the growth of local potential and training courses.
• The functional rehabilitation of social structures and public services: hospitals, treatment centres, schools, wells and aqueducts, housing.
• Humanitarian mine clearance activities: the clearance of lands contaminated with mines, cluster bombs and other unexploded devices; Mine Risk Education concerning the dangers posed by landmines and other unexploded devices.
• Promoting the resumption of dialogue, living together in peace and reconciliation.
WHERE INTERSOS OPERATES
Countries where INTERSOS operated and/or is still operating:
AFRICA: Angola, Burundi, Chad, DR Congo, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Liberia, Mozambique, Rwanda, Somalia, Sudan
CENTRAL AMERICA: El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua
ASIA: Afghanistan, India, Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, Sri Lanka
EUROPE: Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Chechnya (Fed. of Russia), Kosovo, FYRO. Macedonia, Poland, Serbia and Montenegro
Where is Intersos