On 22nd March 1906, the Secretary to Govt. U.P. wrote to the Registrar, Allahabad University "It is the desire of subscribers to the Foundation of King George's Medical College that this College should be the best in the East and it will be aim of Government that the College shall give to its students the best education possible."
The project was warmly taken up by all and the Taluqdars and Zamindars of Agra and Oudh gave princely donations. Sir Harcourt Butler himself was largely responsible for rapid maturation of the scheme by the energy in collecting subscriptions and by his talents in organisation.
The success of this great project of medical education and relief was already assured when the foundation stone was laid by His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales in 1906, and during his second visit for the Coronation Durbar as King Emperor, His Majesty was pleased to give his consent and to designate the College by his name.
The College was completed and the work of the first medical session was started in October 1911, though the ceremonial opening of the college building by His Honour Sir John Prescot Hewett did not occur until January 27, 1912. The College buildings consisted of a fine Administrative Block, an Anatomical block, a combined Pathological and Physiological block and a Medico-Legal Department. As soon as the College was completed the construction of the Hospital itself was commenced. The work for Out-patient Department was finished by. April 1913 and the main-building a few months later.
The number of beds provided was 232 and besides the main Hospital block there were an Isolation Block and separated Cottage wards. The formal opening of King George's Hospital with the opening of the New Bridge over the river Gomti River opposite the Hospital was performed in January 1914 by His Excellency the Viceroy Lord Hardinge; the Bridge took the place of an ancient bridge built by King Asaf-ud-Daulah in 1780 and which was only demolished as late as 1911-12.