The Ministry of Education (MoE) is the government entity responsible for the management and administration of public education in Jamaica. The Ministry of Education was first established in 1953, as the Ministry of Education and Social Welfare. Currently, the MoE carries out the Government of Jamaica’s mandate of ensuring a system which secures quality education and training of all citizens of Jamaica in order to optimise individual and national development. The MoE provides the avenue for enrichment and upward mobility of our people though education. The organisation is one of Jamaica’s largest public entities and is comprised presently of 11 agencies, six Regional Offices, and a central office with approximately 40 units which fall under 5 divisions. These unite to provide the framework for the efficient functioning of over 1,000 public educational institutions that serves over 100,000 students and over 20,000 teachers.
The Ministry of Education is also responsible for two public universities and several community, multidisciplinary and teachers’ colleges. Core Roles and Functions The Ministry’s role of effectively managing the education system is accomplished through the execution of functions carried out by its divisions and agencies. Among these functions are:
- Planning, developing, and implementing educational policies and programmes
- Monitoring and evaluating the performance of locally and internationally funded projects and programmes
- Maintaining an efficient system of collecting, collating, analyzing and presenting current and accurate data on quantifiable educational indicators to meet local demand and international standards
- Developing and supporting programmes, services and activities geared towards personal and national development
- Providing guidance in financial management for all educational institutions and affiliated agencies.
A nation empowered by a dynamic system of care, education and training
Providing quality care and education in an innovative, inclusive and enabling environment thereby creating socially conscious and productive Jamaicans.
- Child and Youth Development
- Child Care and Protection
- Lifelong Learning
- Governance and Accountability
- Information and Communication
- Quality Education and Training
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Safety, Security and Uniformed Groups in all schools
- Technology in Education and Administration
- Differentiated Instruction for effective teaching and learning
- Youth Development and Career Advancement
- Efficiency in Public Information and Communication
- To minimize the number of children and youth at risk through public education, needs based intervention and programmes for the safety, security, growth and development of children and young people.
- To maximize the percentage of Jamaican children ages 3-18 who have access and/or attachment to quality education.
- To maximize the percentage of Jamaican youth who have access to opportunities for governance and advocacy, continuing education, training and work
- To maximize the percentage of the work force that is trained and certified to satisfy labour market demands.
- To maximize the percentage of Jamaican educational programmes that meet prescribed standards of quality
- A. To maximize the literacy rate at grade 4. B. To maximize the numeracy rate at grade 4.
- To maximize the percentage of Jamaican schools that provide a safe, secure and healthy, physical, social, emotional and spiritual environment.
- To maximize the percentage of state care institutions that provide a safe secure and healthy environment
- To maximize the number of partnerships with donors, private sector, parents, community and the diaspora
- To maximize the percentage of schools and other institutions that are provided with staffing, equipment, materials, curriculum offerings, support services and physical facilities that meet standards of sufficiency.
- To maximize the percentage of teachers and administrators in the education sector who are certified and licensed.
- To develop framework to support effective and efficient communication, records and information management.
Where is Ministry of Education, Jamaica