Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Macedonia)
Their objective is to both promote and advance our interests at the international stage. The Euro-Atlantic and European integration is their key priority, while remaining committed to ensuring a secure, stable, and prosperous region, as well as to furthering the bilateral and multilateral cooperation with all their regional and international partners. They continue providing a variety of consular services for all their nationals abroad.
About the Ministry
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of North Macedonia unremittingly works to fulfil the main foreign policy priorities of the country, such as full-fledged NATO membership and starting accession negotiations with the European Union. Efforts are made to promote Macedonian economic interests and to attract foreign investments in the country in line with the goals of the Government of the Republic of North Macedonia to provide a higher standard of living and well-being for its citizens. Therefore, activities are undertaken to reinforce the position of North Macedonia within the international community by developing bilateral relations, good-neighbourly relations, regional cooperation and cooperation within multilateral organisations.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is dedicated to continuously establishing and training the diplomatic staff and to improving the technical conditions needed for the functioning of both the Ministry and the diplomatic-consular representations of the Republic of North Macedonia, as the necessary prerequisites for successfully achieving the objectives pursued and, inter alia, for further improving the consular services and care provided to the Diaspora.
Competences of the MFA
In conducting foreign affairs, the Ministry:
-represents and affirms the Republic of North Macedonia and develops and coordinates bilateral and multilateral relations and cooperation with other countries and international organisations;
- implements foreign policy;
- coordinates the bodies responsible for conducting foreign affairs;
- carries out the procedure for establishing and terminating diplomatic and consular relations with other countries, as well as the membership procedures and the procedure for establishing relations with international organisations;
- protects the interests, rights and property of the country and its citizens and legal entities abroad;
- undertakes activities related to the implementation of the decisions of the United Nations Security Council concerning restrictive measures adopted in accordance with the provisions of Chapter VII of the UN Charter;
- coordinates the participation of the Republic of North Macedonia in the Common Foreign and Security Policy and the Common Security and Defence Policy of the European Union;
- coordinates the foreign policy aspects of the participation of the Republic of North Macedonia in the missions and operations aimed at maintaining international peace and security;
- monitors the development of international economic relations and proposes appropriate decisions to competent authorities;
- protects the position and rights of Macedonian nationals in the neighbourhood;
- protects the position and human rights of the members of communities, Macedonian nationals, abroad.
- protects the position and human rights of Macedonian nationals temporarily or permanently residing abroad, as well as expatriates;
- organizes and manages the diplomatic, consular and other representations of the Republic of North Macedonia and organizes the liaison system with them;
- participates in the signing, preparation for ratification and observance of international treaties the Republic of North Macedonia has acceded to;
- monitors and contributes to the development of international relations and international law;
- determines and marks the state border, maintains and renews border markers and participates in the resolution of border incidents;
- proposes and implements the visa policy and visa regime of the Republic of North Macedonia
- manages the Visa Centre and the visa information system to ensure the connectivity of all segments in the process of implementing the visa regime of the Republic of North Macedonia;
- communicates with and coordinates the cooperation with foreign diplomatic and consular representations and with the missions of international organisations to the Republic of North Macedonia;
- conducts the accreditation procedure and the procedure regarding the copies of credentials of foreign ambassadors, the procedure for recognizing the privileges and immunities of foreign diplomatic missions, consulates-general and representations of international organisations in accordance with international law;
- proposes, prepares and manages the procedure for appointing and dismissing heads of diplomatic and consular representations and honorary consuls of the Republic of North Macedonia;
-implements the sale/purchase/construction/exchange procedure for real estate, performs activities related to granting and terminating the right to use real estate, taking and granting a lease, gift giving and receiving and the maintenance of real estate used by the diplomatic and consular representations of the Republic of North Macedonia;
- implements the exchange/sale procedure for movable property, performs activities related to granting and terminating the right to use movable property, giving and receiving gifts in the form of movable property, used by the diplomatic and consular representations of the Republic of North Macedonia, as well as the procedure for returning movable property from the diplomatic and consular representation to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs;
- collects and maintains domestic and foreign documents concerning the foreign policy and international relations of the Republic of North Macedonia in the Diplomatic Archive of the Ministry;
- informs the President on the most important issues in the fulfilment of the country’s foreign policy and gives opinion and suggestions on foreign policy matters under its competence, including the security and defence aspects stemming from international relations;
- participates in the preparation and implementation of the acts and initiatives of the President, in accordance with the responsibilities of the Ministry;
- cooperates with citizens’ associations and with scientific and expert institutions;
- coordinates the implementation of political views on the participation in international operations aimed at maintaining peace and security in cooperation with relevant ministries and
- performs other duties determined by law.
On 29 April 1969, a Decree signed by the President of the Assembly of the Socialist Republic of Macedonia established the Bureau of Foreign relations. This body underwent several transformations and name changes while expanding and deepening the scope of its activity. At the time when the Republic of Macedonia’s gained its independence from the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia, this body was called Secretariat of Foreign Relations and served as the foundation for today’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of North Macedonia. On this occasion, 29 April has been declared Foreign Ministry Day. See more