Turning Point Foundation (TPF)
Turning Point Foundation is a non-profit and non-government organization (NGO) in Bangladesh led by persons with disabilities. Turning Point is working on major two areas: Capacity Building and Advocacy. The target groups include marginalized people i.e. persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities and other disadvantaged people, where ‘Inclusion’ as an inbuilt mechanism in all programs and activities, aiming at ‘Leaving no one behind’.
The organization is also well-recognized as a Disabled Peoples Organization (DPO) for active participation, leadership and professional engagement of persons with disabilities at its all level as well as for its far-reaching role in the rights movement of persons with disabilities and their organizations. Based on accomplishment and learning, TurningPoint has emerged to other contemporary issues and areas.
The organization has been named as ‘TurningPoint’ from a core believe “when life is in difficulties and disappointment – still there is scope to have a turn towards light of hope”. Disability or any difficulty in their life is not to give up hope; rather it is a challenge, a vocation and a commitment of life to overcome all odds and barriers to be success in life according to one’s own potentials. Their slogan is ‘Let’s enlighten themselves with the light of hope, overcoming all obstructions of life’.
An inclusive society where everyone, irrespective of age, gender, disability, ethnicity or other determinate, will have equal rights, opportunities and participation for development to their full potentials and contribute their utmost possibilities for humanity and environment.
To promote development, rights and inclusion of marginalized people including persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities and disadvantaged people through awareness raising, capacity building, advocacy and other interventions.
Principles and Values
Their Principles: They bring themselves together with the people from all different cultures for sustainable development. They are guided by the following principles:
- They intend to reach their target people who are marginalized, underprivileged and hard core poor of all different cultures.
- They respect the authentic cultural values of the target people and support them to uphold their traditions.
- They emphasis on strengthening the self-help initiatives and self-responsibilities of the people in need.
- They stress on the projects that will address the dire needs of the people and to eliminate the roots of poverty.
- They assist to establish human rights and resist any form of social discrimination.
- They initiate projects that are environment friendly and sustainable.
- They admit authentic dialogue for partnership with a view to learn and grow together.
Their Values: They believe in high quality, innovation, professionalism and social commitments and foster following values:
- Participation of targeted people at all level whom they want to develop and empower i.e. marginalized people, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities and socially excluded.
- Respect and trust are at the heart of their human relationships and foster commitment for all staff members, partners, and stakeholders with whom they share common goals, while recognizing and respecting individual differences
- Transparency demonstrating through openness, informative and interactive way as well as confident, constructive, honest, and problem-solving oriented manner.
- Equity in action by fairness, equality and treats all partners and other stakeholders equal.
- Diversity in their workplace and community and differences are strengths that create value through embracing multiple viewpoints and enrich their human experience. They support their geographic expansion and how they adapt to local cultures.
- Reliability, honesty and flexibility are their traits to be consistently truthful and straight-forward and they work with them who apply the principles of good governance.
- Working together strengthens their organization’s performance and enables them to maintain a dynamic of permanent evolution. Encouraging initiative and empowering individuals are part of their founding characteristics.
- Productivity through efficient and effective engagement of staff members on all targets and outputs. Collective intelligence drives their progress.
- Creativity, innovation and new way of thinking are the driving force of their development.
- Responsibility and leadership to help create the environment they strive to achieve.
- To raise awareness on human rights, inclusion, diversity, laws, policies and other issues
- To adopt inclusion as the inbuilt mechanism in all programs, projects and activities targeting marginalized people including persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities and disadvantaged people
- To support to establish and run organizations/institutions (CSO, DPOs, Centers, etc.)
- To initiate individual and joint programs for the greater interest of the society following nationally and internationally devised policies, laws, treaties and steps.See more