Purpose of the position
The new operating structure for the business will likely include two business units, one of which will be called (notionally) the BroadReach Global Health business unit (this will possibly be split across multiple legal entities). This business unit will be responsible for BroadReach’s global health line of business which focuses on the international development donor market, providing a range of health development services and solutions. These include health service delivery, system strengthening, digital health, and pandemic management.
The Managing Director role will have full P&L responsibility and be fully accountable for the BroadReach Global Health business unit. This business unit would be accountable for all programs and approximately 1,000 employees.
Key Accountabilities (included but not limited to)
- Part of Group Leadership Team.
- Support and contribute to overall company strategy.
- Working with growth teams, ensure the business unit positions for and grows its top line within targeted gross margin targets within the target market and service offerings.
- Accountable for standard P&L financial metrics down to the operating income line, including revenue, gross margin, operating expense, and operating income for the business unit.
- Oversee implementation on all business unit client projects and programs ensuring we deliver on time, within budget, and with high technical quality and client satisfaction.
- Develop, document, and mature our delivery methodology within the context of Group-wide standards.
Technical Leadership & Offerings
- Oversee the development of technical capabilities and associated offerings.
- Ensure projection of technical depth into the market and professional discourse.
- Hire, develop, manage, and retain talent for the business unit to optimize the business unit’s human capital assets, including technical, program management, and operational support teams. Some of these functions may be matrixed in from other line management functions.
- Ensure effective, efficient operations of the business unit, supported by matrixed teams from corporate shared services.
- Ensure operations are compliant with applicable donor-specific rules and regulations.
Measures of Success
- New contract award value
- Top line revenue growth
- Gross Margin
- Indirect budget management
- Cross-business unit sales and delivery collaboration
- Client satisfaction ratings
- People engagement, performance, and retention
- 360 feedback
- Living the BroadReach values
Qualifications & Experience
- Proven experience successfully winning new projects and growing capabilities and market presence in international development health sector.
- Proven track record of overseeing large program teams to deliver sound, robust health programs, funded by donors in developing countries, and in compliance with applicable donor rules and regulations.
- Recognized thought leadership in global health circles.
- Proven experience crafting innovative concepts and communicating to clients and partners, including proposal development
- Master’s degree in a health or related discipline and at least 15 years of leadership experience
- Global experience and acuity
- Courageous: makes the hard decisions, hard conversations, gets to source of issues.
- Continuously Learning: asks questions, re-examines previously held believes, actively seeks out new knowledge.
- Self-confidence: willing to be vulnerable, takes responsibility for mistakes.
- Empathetic: can see the world and situations from someone else’s vantage point, can step into someone else’s shoes.
- Collaborative: comfortable working in teams and across diverse groups and interests, sharing and giving credit to others.
- Lead by Example: clear and visible commitment building a high-performance team and culture of results.
- Delegation: articulates and gains agreement on clear responsibilities, setting high but realistic expected outcomes, empowering while holding accountable.
- Inspirational: able to motivate people to follow and pull the team forward by linking the mission and vision of the company to the day-to-day operational execution.
- Enterprising: An entrepreneurial, growth mind-set; constantly seeking new opportunities and better ways of doing things.
- Organized: prioritizes time, people, and financial resources, and able to discern what is important and not.
- Strategic Perspective: sees multidimensionally, making holistic business decisions weighing risks/rewards from all perspectives including stakeholder relationships.
About the Organization
BroadReach is a health solutions company focused on improving the health and well-being of underserved populations across the world. We are consultants and health systems management experts who see more than numbers.
Using almost two decades of experience and foremost Vantage technology, we design and deliver effective solutions to healthcare problems in emerging markets, empowering stakeholders to make the right decisions and implement the right actions that improve health outcomes and change lives.
Our experience has led us to develop two distinct, yet interlinked businesses units namely BroadReach Healthcare, to deliver direct Health Systems Strengthening services and BroadReach Consulting- where we share our lessons learned, expertise and processes with clients to help them boost their results. The impact of our human capital is amplified, disseminated and enabled through our technology partner, Vantage so it can be delivered consistently and at scale.
BroadReach is a proud Implementing Partner of Vantage Technologies.
Founded in 2003 by Dr. Ernest Darkoh and Dr. John Sargent, BroadReach is at the forefront of supporting African governments, donors and Ministries of Health in the implementation of Health Systems Strengthening programs. We have worked in over 20 countries on all major continents to support existing service delivery.
BroadReach has been recognized internationally as leaders in global healthcare, most recently winning the 2017 Frost & Sullivan Data Analytics Innovation Leadership Award and the 2016 African Leadership Network Award for Entrepreneurship. In 2015, the BroadReach founders were recognized for their social entrepreneurship by the World Economic Forum/Schwab Foundation.
BroadReach: empowering action, changing lives.