PartnerTechnology Bank for the LDCs (TBLDC)
Department/officeNYSC, SDC, Development and Special Initiatives Portfolio
Duty stationGebze, Turkey
Contract typeLocal ICA Support
DurationASAP - 31 December 2018 (Renewable)
Application period07-Aug-2018 to 21-Aug-2018
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
Background Information - Job-specific
The Technology Bank for LDCs is a UN entity in charge of promoting science, technology and innovation in the 47 LDCs. The Headquarters of the Technology Bank are located in Gebze, Turkey.
Within the framework of the delegated authority, the incumbent is assigned all or part of the following duties which are performed according to organizational needs and structure:The ICT Assistant will work in close collaboration with the staff of the Technology Bank and with the Office of Information and Communication Technology of the United Nations and UNOPS to ensure the function of the software and hardware infrastructure of the Technology Bank and will also support the ICT related components of the programmes of the Technology Bank as appropriate.
The ICT Assistant works in close collaboration with the UN secretariat, UNOPS NY and teams, as well as other UN agencies
Summary of Key Functions:
- Assist with the efficient network administration, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Assist in the maintenance of network and internet connectivity to ensure stable operation, availability of bandwidth, and reliable connection to the internet and HQ based systems;
- Help ensure stable and responsive network environment based on daily monitoring of the network connection;
- Monitor and maintain proper backups of TB data;
- Support with maintenance of measures in place for business continuity and disaster recovery processes and procedures;
- Support on standard software applications;
- Review relevant documents and reports;
- Provide assistance on data search and analysis;
- Support documentation and archiving system development and upkeep
- Respond to user needs and questions regarding ICT
- Monitor and maintain performance of specific technical functions, including overall hardware performance and support;
- Support end users with office applications (including but not limited to: Microsoft, Sharepoint, etc.) archiving applications, back up and restoring of files, as well as virus detection, removal, and prevention;
- Assist in ICT support services, both locally and remotely;
- Maintain inventory and stock of IT supplies / spare parts in accordance with UN policies.
- Secondary education required.
- Diploma or University Degree, preferably in information sciences, computer sciences or engineering is desirable and can substitute some of the required experience.
- Competitive pay based in qualifications and experience
UNOPS Key Competencies
Integrity & Inclusion
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Leading Self and Others
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local ICA
Contract level: LICA-5
Contract duration: ASAP - 31 December 2018 (Renewable)
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
About the Organization Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC)
Based in New York, the Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations.
The SDC’s services include grants management, development and special initiatives support, and technology support to the UN and UN agencies.
The SDC is part of the New York Service Cluster that supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management.