Nathan Associates is seeking a Managing Associate to support the Economic Engagement and Private Sector Development group in our International Development practice at our home office in Arlington, Virginia. This position will require international travel. A relevant advanced degree is strongly preferred and significant, progressively responsible experience managing and providing technical assistance on donor-funded projects designed to enhance economic growth through improving trade and competitiveness, business enabling environments, gender and social inclusion and broader economic growth. Applicants must be self-directed and demonstrate an aptitude to work in a team environment, both as a leader and team player, and possess excellent project management, business development, proposal writing, and client management skills.
The Managing Associate will provide oversight and home office direction to USAID prime and sub-contracts, undertake technical support activities for a range of Nathan programs including the US Support for Economic Growth in Asia (US-SEGA) contract, valued at approximately $34 million. Under US-SEGA, Nathan is partnered with USAID’s Asia Bureau and the U.S. Department of State to promote effective, transparent and inclusive economic growth policies and best practices in a range of technical areas, including trade and investment, market systems development, business enabling environment, access to finance, and women’s economic empowerment. The Managing Associate will also be expected to direct business development efforts for USAID and other US and international clients.
Nathan is a private international economic and analytics consulting firm that works with government and commercial clients around the globe to deliver practical solutions and achieve lasting results. Whether building frameworks for economic growth or navigating regulatory hurdles, securing infrastructure financing or evaluating and assessing disputes, Nathan’s experts serve as trusted partners, offering clients the analysis, technical advice, and strategies they need for sound decision-making. Known for both technical and service excellence, Nathan has corporate offices in the US, UK, and India and more than 25 program offices around the world.
The Managing Associate will report to the Vice President of Economic Engagement and Private Sector Development.
- Undertake research and analysis and prepare reports for clients (requiring little or no editing by more senior staff);
- Oversee technical activities and workstreams on various contracts;
- Make presentations to clients and to staff on technical subjects including trade and investment, market systems development, business enabling environment, access to finance, and women’s economic empowerment;
- Perform on an as-needed basis other technical work functions.
- Lead and participate in business development activities, including proposal preparation;
- Market to USAID, World Bank, and other donors; gather information on upcoming bid solicitations through travel to the region and building professional networks.
- Draft and conceptualize firm-wide or practice marketing materials;
- Develop business plans and lead efforts to target new clients, including private sector, and new areas for the firm; and
- Develop and maintain contacts with potential clients, partners, consultants, and international institutions.
- Serve as Project Director for long and short term donor projects;
- Manage complex projects (for clients or for internal purposes), including technical direction, staffing, contractual/subcontract oversight, budgeting, monitoring of progress, review/revision of final products;
- Prepare terms of reference for technical assistance activities for designated projects, including initiation of concept, technical design, and staffing;
- Train/oversee work of Associates, Research Associates, and Program Assistants; and
- Perform on an as-needed basis other assigned Project Management functions.
- MA; MSc or MBA in relevant field such as Economics, Trade, Business, International Relations or relevant field preferred;
- Seven or more years of relevant professional experience in economic development, preferably with donor-funded projects in developing countries with preferred experience in Asia;
- Demonstrated experience working in one of the following technical areas: business enabling environment, SME development, trade or trade capacity building, digital economy, workforce development, and women’s economic empowerment;
- Progressively responsible technical, project management, and proposal experience on donor-funded projects;
- Proven experience in maintaining and building client relationships with USAID and other bi-lateral or multi-lateral donors;
- Ability to work in a team as well as on a self-directed basis;
- Strong analytical and communication capabilities;
- Excellent writing skills;
- Willingness to travel to overseas destinations;
- Experience managing USAID or other donor funded contracts and/or buy in mechanism;
- Permanent U.S. work authorization required;
- Experience in USAID project management and solid knowledge of USAID rules and regulations governing project implementation and proposal development;
- Previous experience working in developing countries;
- Proficiency in Spanish, French, Arabic, or another language.
About the OrganizationNathan Associates Inc. is an employee-owned economic consulting firm. Established in 1946, the firm claims more than six decades of experience, a full-time staff of over 100 professionals, and a record of successful assignments the world over. Our mission is to provide high-quality, innovative consulting services to help private and public sector decision-makers solve the practical economic, financial, and management issues of today and tomorrow.
Nathan Associates has worked in Africa, Asia and the Pacific, Latin America and the Caribbean, and Europe. USAID and multilateral lending institutions such as the World Bank fund most of our international work, but individual private firms and foreign governments also request our assistance.
Internationally, our clients are public and private sector decision-makers responsible for setting policy and for overseeing performance of entire economies, sectors, business enterprises, or government agencies. We provide these policymakers and managers with economic, financial, and management analysis and assistance in strategy and program planning, institutional development, privatization of state-owned enterprises, and program and project implementation.
In our 63 years of consulting, we have worked extensively both at the macroeconomic level and in a broad range of economic sectors: transportation and other infrastructure, industry and commerce, financial services, natural resources, and agriculture and environment.
Despite the geographic and economic diversity of our assignments, two themes remain constant throughout Nathan Associates' work. First, in all our projects, we strive for collegial collaboration between our consulting teams and the management and staff of our client institutions, creating a shared sense of purpose and direction. Second, whenever appropriate, we emphasize technology transfer and human resource development for our client personnel, whether through formal workshops, seminars, and short courses, or on-the-job training.
Competition, innovation, and reward are the economic forces of life. The solutions we provide clients are powered by an understanding of these forces.
For more information about Nathan Associates, see our website: http://www.nathaninc.com.
More Jobs from this Organization