DT Global is a fast-growing international development organization that focuses on improving the capability, capacity, and effectiveness of development programming in complex global environments. Working across a variety of sectors – including Economic Growth, Environment & Infrastructure, Governance, Human Development, and Stabilization & Transition - we provide world class program management, design, analysis, and monitoring and evaluation services.
Built on the strengths, knowledge, and 50+ years of experience from AECOM International Development, Development Transformations, and the Global Peace and Development Charitable Trust, we have a global ecosystem – including a non-profit partner, the DT Institute – working together to develop cutting edge solutions to the world’s most pressing challenges. With corporate offices in the USA, Spain and Australia, in addition to project field offices in over 90 countries around the world, DT Global implements projects funded from a wide array of clients, including USAID, EU, DFAT, NC, MFAT, DFID and other public and private stakeholders. We value learning, research, and rapid program adaptation in response to changing realities on the ground. Together with our global team of experts, we are building technical capabilities across sectors in order to deliver high-quality interventions and transform lives around the world.
The Program Excellence Senior Manager (PESM) will be a senior operational resource for overseeing the Quality Assurance / Quality Control processes of program start-up and closeouts and facilitating the planning and coordinating of program start-ups and close-outs with each DT Global Practice Area lead and operations. Furthermore, the PESM will assist the Director of Program Excellence in harmonizing programmatic and operational best practices and lessons learned and capturing and disseminating innovation and learnings across Practice Areas; updating processes and policies to reflect the program start-up (SU) and close-out (CO) best practices and other programmatic standard policies and procedures for project management across DT Global; and coordinate and manage DT Global QA/QC processes such as the Quarterly Program Review (QPR), after-action reviews (AARs), and learning events. The Program Excellence Senior Manager will also act as the Start-Up Team Lead (SUTL) when necessary and provide assistance with program close-outs. The candidate will demonstrate a vast wealth of experience and leadership in project operations, tasking, problem solving, coordination, organization, prioritization, and facilitating processes. The PESM must exude a high level of maturity, who will accomplish field and Home Office (HO) taskings, Learning and Innovation (L&I) representation, facilitate trainings and oversee project start-ups and close-outs.
Program Start-up (SU):
- Serves as SU and Quality Assurance / Quality Control (QA/QC) Point of Contact (PoC) and manages the QA/QC process
- Serve as SUTL or close-out manager on DT Global programs as needed
- Train / mentor other DT Global staff on SU and close-out management and implementation
- Refine current SU and Close-Out resources, develop SU and Close-Out best practice guides, and training materials
- Facilitate, in coordination with the Program Team, start-up scheduling, communications strategy, administrative, financial, operational, and IT functions for program start-up
- Plan and coordinate SU efforts at the proposal, pre-win, and award stages, including:
- Help the business development (BD) team design the start-up approach and assist in the selection of the SU team as needed
- Ensure start-up documentation, including processes, manuals, and templates are up to date and accessible and SU PoC identified
Start-up (in-country) if SUTL:
- Manage the program SU process and implementation including assigning tasks as required, identify and solve problems that arise, coordinate HO surge support, as well as liaising between the L&I team and Practice Area on start-up progress, challenges, needs for additional support
- Establish policies and procedures for HO program management and field operations tasks in accordance with DT Global and donor policies and procedures
- Review and finalize customized field manuals for programming and operations, ensure compliance with best practices and DT Global policies and procedures
- Develop and maintains forms, tools, and templates for use by PMU and project field staff
- Facilitate start-up programming coordination and implementation
- Assist the PMU and Chief of Party in drafting contract deliverables and supporting other priorities as they arise
- Train the team on DT Global’s policies and procedures
- Serves as close-out QA/QC POC in the HO on program close-out
- Work with the PMU to ensure a comprehensive close-out plan is executed and submitted to the donor and assist the PMU to ensure the closeout plan is executed on-time and according to DT Global policies and procedures
- Provide close-out surge report on an as-needed basis and as time and workload allows
- Work with PMU, FO, and L&I to ensure we have captured all the learning from each program for future programming and BD purposes
- Perform a final audit of all close-out files to ensure that there are no audit risks and all files are in place
- QA/QC / Innovation and Learnings:
- Provide regular trainings to PMUs related to start-up and close-out and field teams on a variety of program and operations management topics and DT Global policies
- Help ensure consistent and standardized use of project management and operational policies and procedures across all Practice Areas for effective project execution
- Provides field surge support and program and process audits during program implementation to see how processes and procedures are being implemented and identify gaps and recommendations - on an as-needed basis and as time and workload allows
- Provide regular briefings and reports of identified gaps and recommendations on each of the programs and proposals on how they could be overcome by modifying processes / procedures in coordination with the concerned departments, Practice Areas, PMU and field team
- Coordinate and facilitate DT Global QA/QC processes such as the QPR, AARs, and learning events.
- Ensure best practices and lessons learned from Start-Up and close-out AARs are incorporated into DT Global start-up policies and procedures for the future and assist the PE Director to develop and modify overall program best practices and standard policies and procedures for project management across DT Global
- Assist the VP of L&I in the implementation of the DT Global US Learning Strategy including developing and overseeing a process for capturing and disseminating innovation and learnings across Practice Areas
Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in related field including: International Relations; Political Science; Government; Economics; Business; International Development or Procurement Management. Master’s degree preferred.
Key Competencies and Experience:
- A minimum of eight years of experience, including a mix of Field and Home Office program management, specifically on USAID funded programs
- At least three years of long-term experience working overseas on a program
- Previous operational experience on two (leading at least one) USAID project SUs and preferably closedowns
- Working knowledge on program implementation, life cycles, human resources, operations, procurement, and finance
- Proven knowledge and use of FAR/AIDAR policies and procedures, management of USAID contracts, international procurement, and contract reporting requirements
- Strong organizational and communication skills and ability to work calmly under high stress and in a very fast paced environment
- Must be systems and process oriented
- Creative approach to problem solving
- Ability to synthesize and summarize large amounts of complex information so that it can be presented in a simple and easy to understand way
- Ability to work collaboratively across cross-functional teams and between HO and the field and inspire cooperation and buy-in
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both written and verbally
- Strong presentation and training skills
- Ability to travel and work overseas on short term technical assignments up to 50%, sometimes on short notice.
- Ability to take initiative and handle multiple tasks under tight deadlines while maintaining keen attention to detail.
- Fluency in a second language (French, Spanish or Arabic) a plus
- Teamwork: Works cooperatively and effectively with others to achieve common goals. Participates in building a culture characterized by inclusion, trust and commitment.
- Communication: Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts professionally. Demonstrates effective use of listening skills and displays openness to other people’s ideas and thoughts.
- Adaptability: Adjusts planned work by gathering relevant information and applying critical thinking to ad-dress multiple demands and competing priorities in a changing environment.
- Customer/Client Focused: Anticipates, monitors and meets the needs of customers and responds to them in an appropriate and responsive manner.
- Diversity and Inclusion: Conveys respect for diverse individuals and perspectives; models inclusive behavior and treats everyone fairly.
- Professionalism: Displays appropriate and ethical behavior, integrity and personal presentation in the workplace always; demonstrates respectful communication for others, both verbal and non-verbal.
This position is contingent upon funding.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
DT Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or national origin. DT Global prohibits discriminating against employees and job applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose the compensation of the employee or applicant or another employee or applicant.
About the Organization
DT Global, built on more than 50 years of experience from AECOM International Development, Development Transformations, and the Global Peace and Development (GPD) Charitable Trust, applies ingenuity, evidence, and passion to everything we do. Grounded in decades of technical expertise and leadership around the world, we incorporate rigorous learning and assessment in our program design process to ensure that we stay on the cutting edge of thought leadership. Our technical experts work in partnership with communities and institutions to deliver innovative, data-driven solutions that create sustainable change and improve people's lives. For more information please see www.dt-global.com.