Do you have 5+ years of experience with professional development of web applications? Are you interested in joining an innovative social enterprise serving the international development community? Do you want to help maintain and expand a complex software system that serves digital content informing an audience of over 1 million global development professionals? Are you excited to be a part of a dynamic company that has an open and teamwork-focused culture?
We’re looking for a bright, professional and passionate Senior Software Engineer for our Barcelona-based product team to ensure that our member community has a positive user experience when interacting with our content. You thrive in an environment where you’re responsible for your own work while getting all the support you need. You also don’t take yourself too seriously and are eager to work in a multicultural environment of experts like yourself. You’re keen to help your teammates, share your knowledge, learn from others, and welcome both positive and constructive feedback.
What you’ll do at Devex
As Senior Software Engineer, you will be responsible for the design, implementation, and maintenance of efficient, reusable, and reliable code - mostly in the Ruby programming language. Your main focus will be on back-end technologies with occasional gigs in the front-end.
- Work on both new and existing features of our software system. This means crafting clear and well-designed code that is deployed to our production system several times a week
- Review your peers’ code, participate in pair programming and provide mentorship to junior and intermediate engineers
- Collaborate constantly with other engineers, designers, team leads and stakeholders for the best possible outcome
- Analyze requirements and propose your ideas and technical solutions in the context of general business goals
- Provide input for strategic technical decisions related to new products and functionality
In your first weeks, you’ll:
- Get to know your peers and set up your work environment
- Have your first contributions deployed to our production environment
- Finish some minor projects (epics) as part of a small team
- Become familiar with the architecture of our entire software system
- Better understand the scope of Devex’s services and mission
By the time you finish your first year, you’ll:
- Have become an integral part of the product team
- Be capable of implementing high-level (sometimes vague) tasks completely independently
- Be trusted to work autonomously to solve most problems that come up
- Shape the software development life-cycle
- Take on technical leadership of individual projects
- Tech Stack and Tools
- The Devex website and related systems are hosted on Amazon Web Services, all developed code is version controlled via git on GitHub and ideally well tested. The main programming language for the back-end services is Ruby, using the Ruby on Rails and grape frameworks. The front-end is a mix of Ruby on Rails, AngularJS, and React. Nearly all data is stored in a relational database (PostgreSQL), cached by Redis, and searched over via Elasticsearch.
- Here are the basic requirements we’re looking for in the role:
- At least 5 years of experience in professional web application development
- EU work authorization
- Strong skills in written and spoken English
- A solid grasp of object-oriented programming, automated software testing, and the application development life-cycle in general
- Besides the basics, here’s what we’d love to see:
- Professional experience with Ruby on Rails or allied technologies
- Familiarity with relational databases and/or search engines like Solr or Elasticsearch
- Experience with agile methodologies like Scrum or Kanban
That said, anything else that you bring to the table which adds value to our team is highly appreciated.
What We Offer You
Being part of the Devex team is a partnership. We strive to make Devex a space where you can thrive and do your most inspirational work. Here are a few benefits we offer:
- Flexible work hours
- Generous maternity/paternity leave
- Unlimited snacks and drinks
- Weekly professional development and wellness activities
- 23 days paid vacation
- 2 week-long enterprise-wide breaks to rest and recharge
- 2 YAY days to learn or adventure as you like
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
Ready to get started? Apply now!
About the Organization
Devex is the media platform for the global development community. As a social enterprise, we connect and inform development, health, humanitarian and sustainability professionals through news, business intelligence and funding and career opportunities. Our goal is to do more good for more people. Today, we reach over 1 million aid workers and development professionals, and we can't wait to make it even more.
We live our mission, and bring our world-class academic and professional experience to work every single day to change the world.
Our diverse global team includes 120+ web-savvy journalists, analysts, developers, designers, and marketers. Our headquarters is in Washington, DC., we have offices in Barcelona and Manila, and reporters on 5 continents. We cover the most meaningful issues in the world, from eradicating malaria and polio to fighting climate change to ending poverty in our time. Professionals at NGOs like Save the Children, CARE, ONE, and the Gates Foundation rely on us to be in-the-know.