Abt Associates will be implementing USAID/Namibia’s Scaling up Access for Expanded Voluntary Medical Male Circumcision Services (SAFE) Activity, a five-year, $33 million project to increase access to and uptake of quality voluntary medical male circumcision (VMMC) services across Namibia. Under the project, Abt and its partners will support the Namibian Ministry of Health and Social Services in reaching its goal of providing the comprehensive VMMC service package to an estimated 250,000 boys and men as part of the country’s overall strategy to sustain HIV epidemic control.
Voluntary Medical Male Circumcision (VMMC) Technical Advisor - Abt Associates is seeking a VMMC Technical Advisor for the USAID-funded Scaling up Access for Voluntary Medical Male Circumcision Services (SAFE) in Namibia. The VMMC technical advisor will be based in Windhoek and responsible for providing support and technical assistance directly to the MoHSS with the aim of improving VMMC quality oversight to service providers and supporting trainings in VMMC when needed.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Planning, implementation and monitoring of QA for VMMC activities
- Work with National VMMC Coordinator to ensure smooth implementation of VMMC services
- Provide direct VMMC technical assistance to MoHSS national office
- Connect directly with district and regional VMMC focal personnel and provide TA as needs are identified by District and regional staff
- Liaise with the DCOP on technical matters regarding the implementation of VMMC activities in the country
- Work with the QA/QI Advisor to address and mitigate any clinical quality issues that arise at individual clinics
- Support in planning, implementation and monitoring of VMMC outreach services and campaigns
- Plan, coordinate and monitor VMMC QA activities
- In collaboration with the SAFE VMMC QA Officers and VMMC regional VMMC coordinators, participate in and support activities aimed at improving quality service delivery
- Coordinate and provide VMMC related training to as needed
- Supervise and support competency assessments of all providers
- Support clinical and zonal teams to document best practices, experiences and lessons learned in and share these at relevant fora
- Provide monthly feedback on VMMC services to the national VMMC Coordinator and other relevant MoHSS persons,
- Other activities as assigned.
- Health related qualification (Master clinical degree preferred), 6-8 years of experience
- Valid registration with the Health Profession’s Council of Namibia
- A post graduate qualification in public health would be an advantage
- Minimum 5 years prior experience providing VMMC; experience providing training in VMMC preferred.
- At least 5 years post graduate experience in HIV prevention and treatment
- Understanding of the Namibia Health Care system including Acts regulating provision of health care services in Namibia
- Proven ability to mentor health professionals of varying skill levels
- Ability to work under pressure while maintaining strong leadership and team efficiency
- Excellent computer literacy
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written)
- (6+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.