In a wide-ranging interview with Devex President and Editor-in-Chief Raj Kumar, Gitahi predicted that the pandemic would result in “serious disruption of this sector.”
NGOs will have a tough time recovering overhead costs, he said, adding that organizations often do not have the independence to cut costs because donors have significant control over how the money they contribute can be spent. In addition, he said, the lack of travel is leading to difficulty in making contacts to help with fundraising.
More interviews with humanitarian leaders on COVID-19. Watch:
• How Jan Egeland sees the crisis developing
• Mark Dybul calls for global task force
• Unacceptable — community health workers without protective gear
• Former OFDA chief gives Trump administration a ‘D’ on response
• How behavioral science is changing the response
Visit our dedicated COVID-19 page for news, job opportunities, and funding insights.