Sustainable Use of Natural Resources and Energy Finance (SUNREF)
AFD’s green finance label
Environmental integration offers significant economic development potential
Seizing the opportunities of the ecological transition
Environmental integration offers significant economic development potential: green growth provides a number of opportunities to companies through new markets, especially in the fields of:
- Energy management
- Sustainable natural resources management
- Environmental protection
In developing countries, financing this green growth is a major challenge. Agence Française de Développement (AFD) contributes to this challenge in partnership with banks in the South.
SUNREF: A green credit line developed for companies by AFD
Loans allocated by local partner banks, investment premiums and free technical assistance depending on the geographical area: the SUNREF range of services is tailored to allow companies to acquire higher quality equipment, make cost savings and be more competitive.
SUNREF also offers banks in the South special partnership conditions to allow them to seize the opportunities of green finance.
An innovative approach
Integrated approach and innovative partnership for green finance
SUNREF integrated approach
SUNREF’s innovation is based on the combination of a financial approach and a technical approach. The aim is to meet the demand of partner banks and project initiators:
- The financial approach involves providing local partner banks with long-term loans (green credit lines). These loans can be allocated on favorable terms on the basis of certain criteria (maturity of green financing market, type of investment, target client base);
- The technical approach aims to support and scale up the market for green investment financing by assisting banks in project financing and building the capacities of companies to implement strategies for an optimized use of energy and natural resources.
Innovative partnerships for green finance
SUNREF offers its partners an integrated approach allowing:
- Companies to gain easier access to green finance
- Banks seeking to develop their green finance portfolios to have access to:
> Structured financing with tariffs tailored to the planned green investments and to their clients
> Capacity building
> The sharing of certain credit risks via guarantee mechanisms
- Input into the public policies of the governments in questionSee more