Devex is looking for talented Budget and Programming Officers (BPOs) to join the World Food Programme (WFP)’s Future International Talent Pool (FIT Pool) at a P1 Level to support the end to end planning and budgeting processes. BPOs ensure WFP makes the best use of available funding by enabling a consistent flow of budget information to support decision-making.
At a P1 Level, you will work under supervision to provide analysis and advice on resource planning and management issues and receive guidance and regular feedback on work performed. You will deliver budget planning and management outputs, and participate in the collation, maintenance, analysis, and reporting of information to support effective resource management in partnership with relevant stakeholders.
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
ABOUT BUDGET AND PROGRAMMING
The Budget and Programming Division is responsible for managing WFP’s resource allocations, budget plan preparation, monitoring and reporting, and providing guidelines and tools for effective resource management.
As a Budget and Programming Officer, you will perform a range of tasks including demand planning and forecasting, data analysis and reporting while working in close collaboration with colleagues in Programme and Policy, Supply Chain and Partnerships functions to ensure that WFP attracts and manages resources effectively.
ABOUT FIT POOL
The Future International Talent Pool (FIT Pool) is an excellent opportunity for an international professional career within WFP. WFP is looking to build a pool of highly qualified and dynamic talents interested in serving in any of the +80 countries (https://www.wfp.org/countries) where WFP operates. Qualifying for the Budget & Programming FIT Pool gives you priority to be considered for vacant Fixed Term positions anywhere in the word and consequently to commence your global journey in the humanitarian world, often at the forefront of world affairs. For more information, visit: http://www1.wfp.org/fit-pool
As Budget & Programming Officer at a P1 level, you will:
- Contribute towards the development and revision of budget plans ensuring compliance with WFP standards, budget and programming policies and procedures.
- Create and review budgets in WFP’s corporate systems, ensuring that all budget-supporting documents are well developed and relevant resource data is recorded in internal systems for reference.
- Follow-up on budget approval actions through the approval process for local budgets, ensuring that all documentation is in line with received comments and recommendations and that information on the WFP corporate systems is accurate.
- Monitor ongoing performance against budget for WFP operations, through various financial analyses and provide expert advice on budgetary adjustments as necessary to budget owners for optimal resource utilization.
- Support the preparation of funding proposals through donor trend analysis against operational shortfalls, proposing fund prioritisation options by activity and modality as necessary.
- Collate commodity pipeline requirements with sourcing options in collaboration with Supply Chain and Programme teams, building and maintaining productive partnerships at the operational level to ensure timely shortfalls coverage.
- Support the local and regional teams in monitoring the resource pipeline to maximize operational effectiveness, following standards and processes, and providing advice on resource allocations.
- Programme received funds promptly, according to prioritised operational needs, submitted funding proposals, donor conditions and restrictions, and in close collaboration with the Partnerships teams.
- Collate and analyse data and contribute to preparation and communication of accurate and timely reports, to enable informed decision-making and consistency of information presented to senior management and external stakeholders.
- Take responsibility for incorporation gender perspectives in all areas of work to ensure equal participation of women and men.
- Other as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
- You hold an advanced university degree in Project Management, Business Administration, Statistics, Finance, Economics or other relevant fields, or Bachelor’s Degree with additional years of experience.
- You have at least one year postgraduate professional experience in a relevant field of work, such as multisource data analysis, performance reporting, budget planning, resource and/or project management.
- You have strong analytical skills and resourcefulness, initiative, and tact in devising solutions to current and potential operational issues.
- You demonstrate a good understanding of information and financial systems and how those support the implementation of operations.
- You have experience working with medium to large datasets, extracting information from them in an easy to interpret manner.
- You are fluent in oral and written English.
- You have Intermediate knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) or Portuguese (one of WFP’s working languages).
- You are able and motivated to work in any of WFP’s Offices throughout the world, including hardship locations.
DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- You have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to foster relationships and influence decision-makers.
- You are able to work with people of different backgrounds and expertise, to deliver as one toward common operational goals.
- Professional training in project management, statistical analysis and/or operational planning and management is desirable.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
If you are selected, you will be placed in the FIT Pool for a period of up to 2 years. You may be contacted as the needs arise for fixed-term international positions in any of the countries in which WFP operates, including hardship duty stations.
Mobility is the essence of WFP and continues to be a core contractual requirement. These positions are rotational which means that you shall be subject to the regular reassignment process to any other location on a period of 2 to 4 years unless the position is reclassified as non-rotational.
WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, including basic salary, post adjustment, relocation entitlement, travel and shipment allowances, 30 days’ annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, pension plan and medical insurance. For more information, visit: https://icsc.un.org/
About the Organization
Devex is the media platform for the global development community. As a social enterprise, we connect and inform development, health, humanitarian and sustainability professionals through news, business intelligence and funding & career opportunities so you can do more good for more people.
An international organization founded at the Harvard Kennedy School, Devex is headquartered in Washington, DC, and has offices in Barcelona, and Manila, and reporters around the world. Our diverse global team includes 100 web-savvy journalists, analysts, developers, designers, and marketers. Devexers live our mission, and bring their top-notch academic and professional credentials to work every day to change the world. Get to know us better by checking out our tumblr page.