The Intersection of Calling and Career…
World Vision is hiring multiple Health Sector Senior Business Development Managers within the Resource Development Department.
00 At a Glance
Role: Health Sector Senior Business Development Manager
Location: Washington, D.C. USA
Reports to: Director of Health Sector, Resource Development
Required experience: Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline or equivalent work experience (eight years). Master’s strongly preferred. In addition to education or education equivalent, requires a minimum of seven years of international relief and development work experience including a minimum of three years of successful proposal development for USAID and other USG donors.
Work Authorization: Must be authorized to work in the USA for any employer.
Travel: Up to 30% of time both in development and fragile contexts.
01 The Job: World Vision is looking for a Senior Business Development Manager to support our rapid growth in the health international development space. This position will support the US-based Business Development and World Vision National Offices overseas, to identify new opportunities among public, private and non-profit sources of funding. The position will:
- This position will support Lead Technical Writer for the Technical Proposal on strategic captures and proposals. In addition, he/she will collaborate with technical staff to gather required technical content for writing of compliant, responsive, and persuasive technical proposals. When not actively engaged in writing proposals, this person will support corporate Business Development Strategy development and implementation. In this capacity, he/she will develop donor profiles, inform development of critical corporate messaging, advise on development and implementation of long-term donor positioning plans and help to identify, influence and qualify opportunities. He/she will conduct ongoing business development-related research and data analyses to support team and other BD needs.
- Coordinate and manage all components of the proposal development process, ensuring a high quality and timely submission.
- Manage and or/support post submission and lessons learned processes. Utilize program design expertise to guide and lead quality program design (involving US and field based technical and finance colleagues) that builds on evidence-based approaches and is responsive to the guidelines and specification outlined by the donor.
- Engage in the Teams’ development of best practice and evidenced base approaches utilized in proposals.
- Help carry out our Christian organization’s mission and strategy. Candidates must be in agreement with and help to enhance World Vision’s Mission, Vision, and Values. Prior to applying, candidates should read World Vision’s Statement of Christian faith.
02 Your Responsibilities Will Include:
Pre-positioning/ External Engagement and Networking. Capture / Market Research (35%): Conduct market assessment research as required, on donor needs, opportunity information, competitive landscape and World Vision capabilities/capacity. Translate information into informative technical analysis and strategies. May participate in capture trips, reach out to Regional Teams and/or National Offices, and with identified (and/or identify local partners). Perform continuous updates of and maintain long-term positioning plans, donor profiles/ new clients and prioritized life of awards.
Proposal Preparation and Coordination. Technical Writing support (50%): Support the Lead Technical Writer on business development proposals, with overall responsibilities for developing compelling and compliant technical proposal and presentation documents. Close collaboration with Technical Leads (TLs), Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) and partners/consultants to gather information needed to write assigned sections. During capture and preparation phases, facilitate win strategy development discussions, including development of technical solution, management plan and corporate capability. Draft Section Strategy(ies) and subsequent drafts that are compliant with solicitation, responsive to client needs, persuasive and an excellent presentation of our win strategy. Incorporate draft and color review feedback from Technical Leader (TL), Unit Head(s) and color reviewers into each draft iteration. Conduct additional research as required. Coordinate efforts of contributing writers and SMEs contributing to assigned sections; integrate contributions into one, cohesive technical proposal that showcases our win strategy and meets client needs and solicitation requirements. Support writing, copy editing, and formatting for additional proposal efforts and support sections as a contributing writer. Collaborate with proposal team and graphics staff to make excellent use of graphics. Help ensure technical proposal corresponds to budget and other cost volume documents. Post Submission: With proposal team, be prepared to respond quickly and competitively to technical questions from client post-submission.
Business Development Support and Coordination (15%): Assist in defining content and libraries for proposals, client profiles, developing templates and determining format/system to store and maintain information. Assist in developing methods and materials to communicate to clients what we do (priority technical areas) and where we do it (priority geographic areas). Support business development team/grants solutions team to improve proposal management systems. Support recurring and ad hoc technical writing needs, mentor/coach and counsel teammates; share examples of writing in winning proposals. Recommend and provide technical writing training as needed.
- Work collaboratively with team members when assigned to work as part of a team.
- Keep Christ central in our individual and corporate lives. Attend and participate in the leadership of devotions, weekly Chapel services and regular prayer
- Perform other duties as assigned.
03 You Bring These Skills:
- Demonstrated strong writing, editing, and communication skills
- Ability to work independently in a self-directed, results-oriented environment at a fast pace with strict deadlines.
- Experience conducting international development research and gathering information from multiple sources including desk and field research. Proven ability to facilitate complex, technical discussions of participants with varied perspectives; facilitate design workshops, able to summarize and to identify action items and next steps. Demonstrated ability to distill large quantities of information into concise, salient points.
- Knowledge of international health and market systems, catalyzing investment, MNCH, nutrition, gender/youth inclusion, FP/RH, HIV, fragile/humanitarian health, health systems and/or resilience a plus. International program management and/or in-country experience a plus.
- Strong analytical skills; able to use critical thinking and problem-solving skills to visualize, articulate, conceptualize or solve complex solutions. Proven organizational skills, with the ability to handle multiple tasks successfully under tight deadlines. Strong interpersonal, communication and troubleshooting skills.
- Minimum 7 years’ experience working on writing technical proposals in international development, with major donors and business development, preferably with USAID
- Five or more years of experience working on USAID proposal responses as a prime or sub-partner, including participating in capture efforts, writing relevant sections of proposals, and developing proposal budgets
- Strong skills with Microsoft Office Suite. Knowledgeable of PC-based word processing, spreadsheet, presentation and database applications; demonstrated ability to use Internet as a research tool.
- Willingness and availability to travel internationally up to 30% of the time.
- Ability to travel internationally on short notice.
04 Education and Experience: Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline or equivalent work experience (eight years). Master’s degree in health, public health, international development/relations, economics, or a related technical discipline strongly preferred. In addition to education or education equivalent, requires a minimum of seven years of international relief and development work experience including a minimum of three years of successful proposal development for USAID and other USG donors. Experience with USG solicitation is required; substantive relevant experience in proposal development for other multilateral or bilateral donors may be considered within the years of experience sought.
05 Additional Skills We Are Interested In:
- Keen interest and excitement in business development, entrepreneurial interests, willingness to learn, ambition to take on positions of increasing responsibility.
- Detail-oriented, flexible, and able to handle multiple concurrent tasks.
- Able to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Proficient in one or more foreign languages (French, Arabic, Spanish, Swahili) highly preferred.
06 Where This Job Could Take Your Career: You’ll have an opportunity to mentor/coach a team of Business Development Managers within our talented international programs group and career progression to Subject Matter Experts (SME) Technical Advisor. You’ll be part of World Vision USA as well as part of the larger World Vision International Partnership. Globally, we have over 40,000+ staff working in nearly 100 countries (1000 in WVUS).
07 About World Vision: We’re a global Christian humanitarian organization. We partner with children, families, and their communities to empower them as they reach their full potential by tackling the causes of poverty and injustice. For nearly the last 70 years, World Vision has followed Jesus’ example to show unconditional love to the poor and oppressed. We serve every child regardless of faith.
08 Salary Range & Benefits: Your salary is important to you, so it’s important to us. Please share your salary expectations with us in the application process to get the conversation started. We also have a robust and comprehensive benefits package to round out our total compensation package. Click here to learn more.
09 To Apply: Click the Apply box in the lower left corner. Contact Kylie Abegg, Senior Talent Acquisition Partner for International Programs, at email@example.com for any questions.
10 What happens next? We review applications nearly every day assessing strength of fit for the role. If questions arise on our end, we will message you to learn more. Short-listed candidates are contacted for an initial phone conversation with our recruiting staff. Moving deeper into our selection process you can expect to interview 1:1 with a hiring manager. Finalists normally participate in a panel interview where the opportunity to connect with additional members of our staff lends itself to more of a 360-view of the role. Our goal is to fill this vacancy with the right person in the shortest amount of time. All interviews will be virtual at this time.
Working Environment / Conditions
Standard office environment. Domestic and international travel required up to 25% of the time. May require trips to hazardous locations.