Join the Media Platform for the Global Development Community.
You: an ambitious editor and content manager who keeps the trains on time and has creative and strategic ideas to reach readers on social media.
If you’re eager to use your editorial chops and social media expertise to make a real difference for people everywhere and to help build one of the most exciting new media platforms in the world, we’d love to meet.
Us: a buzzed-about social enterprise committed to changing the world through our audience of one million aid workers and development professionals. An international organization founded at the Harvard Kennedy School, Devex is headquartered in Washington, DC, and has offices in Barcelona and Manila and reporters around the world.
Our diverse global team includes 100 web-savvy journalists, analysts, developers, designers, and marketers. We cover the most important issues in the world, from eradicating malaria and polio to fighting climate change to ending poverty in our time, and professionals at NGOs like Save the Children, CARE, ONE, and the Gates Foundation rely on us to be in-the-know.
You will have an opportunity to grow and learn from sharp, committed colleagues, and be part of an innovative culture that’s low on bureaucracy and high on impact (and fun). Get to know us better by checking out our tumblr page.
Why this position is great for you:
- We cover the most important issues in the world, from eradicating malaria and polio to fighting climate change to ending poverty in our time
- Our news team gets to know some of the most inspiring leaders in the world, from celebrities to philanthropists to aid workers making a difference on the ground
- We write exclusively original content, including full-length features, and have a sustainable business model to do it
- Professionals at NGOs like Save the Children, CARE, ONE, Gates Foundation and more rely on us to be in-the-know
- We’re a young, dynamic company that’s growing fast and that has an open, collaborative culture
- No bureaucracy here: you’ll get to own your work and will get the support you need
- Want to get ahead? We’re filled with stories of people who joined Devex and moved up, and up, and up. And that’s exactly what we’re looking for from you.
What we need from you:
The main responsibilities of the Production Editor are…
- Copy edit news and partnership content and other material as needed, including job descriptions, tenders, and special reports.
- Post and manage all content published on Devex website and in the newsletters.
- Maintain accuracy and overall quality of publications.
- Write headlines, abstracts, and photo captions, and select photos.
- Write content for Devex newsletters.
- Work closely with our engagement editor to draft social media posts.
- Track success of engagement and coverage, and create policies and processes based on analytics and metrics.
Desired Skills and Experience
To fit well in this role you must be truly sharp, an excellent writer and editor, and someone with the communications skills that attract colleagues to want to work with you. You also must have…
- 1-2 years of copy editing experience and content management
- Excellent editing skills, including a particular attention to detail and accuracy
- Significant experience in a communications or news production role at a content focused organization such as a media company or think tank
- Relevant undergraduate degree & existing work authorization in Europe
Besides the basic requirements, here’s what we’d love to see…
- Familiarity with AP style
- Strong verbal and written communications skills and strong problem-solving capabilities
- Native familiarity with social media and multimedia tools
- Experience in the developing world and a global mindset
- Work experience at a major cutting-edge media brand
- Experience with HTML, Google Analytics, Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator a plus
- You haven’t just heard of the World Bank and the Gates Foundation; you actually know what they do and how they work
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
About the Organization
Devex is the media platform for the global development community. As a social enterprise, we connect and inform development, health, humanitarian and sustainability professionals through news, business intelligence and funding & career opportunities so you can do more good for more people. Devexers live our mission, and bring their top-notch academic and professional credentials to work every day to change the world.