At CARE, we seek a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and people live with dignity and security.
This has been our vision since 1945, when we were founded to send lifesaving CARE Packages® to survivors of World War II. Today, CARE is a global leader in the movement to eradicate poverty. In 2016, CARE worked in 94 countries and reached 80 million people with an incredible range of life-saving programs. We also put women and girls at the center of our work because we know that we cannot overcome poverty until all people have equal rights and opportunities. We seek dynamic, innovative thinkers to further our mission. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us.
CARE Bangladesh is looking for an experienced and innovative Programme Coordinator for its shelter and site management (CCCM) activities as part of the refugee response programme. This senior-level position will be responsible for coordinating and strengthening the management of emergency programmes and projects in order to assure timely, high quality and accountable implementation that meets technical standards and processes, in compliance with donor requirements. Reporting to the Humanitarian Response Programs Director, the Programme Coordinator for Shelter and Site Management will be based in Cox’s Bazar and will lead the field-based team in Ukhiya in collaboration with CARE’s partner staff and volunteers.
CARE Bangladesh is providing life-saving Site Management services, funded by IOM, in two refugee camps in Cox’s Bazar (Camps 13 and 16), as well as emergency and transitional shelter and site development, site improvement and infrastructure interventions, in close coordination with the Office of Refugee Relief and Repatriation Commission (RRRC), and in support of the Camp in Charge (CiC), to ensure a safe and dignified life for affected populations. CARE Bangladesh is working to address critical humanitarian gaps and meet urgent needs through coordination and collaboration with different stakeholders, information management, the linking of community members and persons with specific needs to different service providers, camp operations, Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) and construction works.
CARE is one of the world’s leading international humanitarian and development organizations, committed to helping people in poor communities improve their lives and alleviate poverty. Founded in 1945, CARE is working across 94 countries to fight global poverty and marginalization. CARE has been active in Bangladesh since 1949, being one of the largest country offices of CARE across the world. In CARE, we put women and girls at the center of our work because we know that we cannot overcome poverty until all people have equal rights and opportunities. CARE Bangladesh is currently shifting towards an integrated program approach following the emergency, where it is developing longer-term impact visions to have more sustainable changes in the lives of the affected populations.
- Lead the design, coordination, management, and quality implementation of emergency programmes for Shelter and Site Management.
- Provide effective leadership to Sector Lead(s) and/or Programme Managers, ensuring that projects are implemented in a timely, accountable and effective manner to the highest quality.
- Ensure Do No Harm, accountability and humanitarian principles and standards, and duty of care guide all activities and programme design.
- Ensure all projects and activities are in full compliance with donor regulations and CARE International policies, standards and protocols.
- Coordinate with relevant stakeholders and key actors (UN agencies, Inter Sector Coordination Group, Cluster/Sector, Government agencies, INGOs, local and international partners, technical working groups).
- Provide technical assistance to field staff and partners, design and roll out capacity building on Site Management, Shelter, and Site Development and Infrastructure.
- Oversee strategic management and successful programme implementation, ensuring program quality according to CARE standards and incorporating learning, review and adaptation into the programming cycle.
- To develop high quality proposals and reports, budget and financial monitoring, and ensuring compliance.
- Lead CARE’s Shelter and Site Management Sector Contingency Planning and Response, especially during monsoon and cyclone seasons.
- To provide mentorship, coaching and technical support to the Shelter and Site Management teams.
- Regularly represent CARE at Shelter Sector and Site Management Technical Working Group and meetings.
- Strengthen communication and coordination with other teams, including (but not limited to) WASH, Protection (including Gender in Emergencies, GBV and SRH), MEAL and Programme Support. • Facilitate effective mainstreaming and integration of gender, protection, and DRR into programmes.
- Strategic and quality management of CARE’s Shelter and Site Development and Infrastructure
- Project Management (plan, implement, review and reporting and budget management)
- Design & develop program strategies, plans & response mechanisms based on concrete analysis
- Ensure coordination ISCG and technical alignment in line with global clusters and approaches
- Human Resources and Administration
- CARE and International Standards and Policies
- Masters or Postgraduate Degree, preferably in Civil Engineering, Humanitarian/Disaster Management. Additional training or diploma in relevant field
- Minimum of 5 years’ humanitarian aid experience managing programmes in complex operating environments.
- Experience in refugee responses, conflict settings and natural disasters.
- Good working knowledge of protection-centred approaches, CHS, AAP.
- Strong experience in managing shelter programs in emergencies.
- Familiarity with displacement sites including formal refugee camps, spontaneous and makeshift settlements.
- Strong project cycle management skills: assessments, design, implementation, monitoring, evaluation, and strategic planning skills.
- Experience of developing funding proposals, with strong report writing and analytical skills.
- High level of all aspects of managerial experience, including developing, implementing and managing multi-million dollar budgets.
- Experience in complex decision making and leading a multi-disciplinary, multi-national team under difficult circumstances.
- Experience in representation and negotiation with government representatives and donors.
- Strong understanding of the humanitarian emergency operating context, including Sphere, the humanitarian system, donors, security, civil military liaison and program management.
- Familiar with humanitarian programming and inter-agency coordination systems.
- Ability to communicate ideas in a culturally-sensitive manner and conducive to their practical application.
- Excellent interpersonal and staff management skills.
- Strong communication skills in verbal and written English.
- Computer skills in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Strong capacity to manage competing priorities and multiple grants.
About the Organization
CARE is a leading humanitarian organization fighting global poverty. We place special focus on working alongside poor women because, equipped with the proper resources, women have the power to help whole families and entire communities escape poverty. Women are at the heart of CARE's community-based efforts to improve basic education, prevent the spread of disease, increase access to clean water and sanitation, expand economic opportunity and protect natural resources. CARE also delivers emergency aid to survivors of war and natural disasters, and helps people rebuild their lives.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here.
The closing date for this posting, if listed, is approximate. Job postings may be removed from CARE's career website at any time.